Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
weekender

No steering in surfgate left

weekender

Anyone else experience this? 

Boat basically pulls pretty hard to the right when in surfgate left mode, boat nearly wants to spin in a circle turning right almost. Even when I try to turn all the way left there is lots of resistance 

Doesn't seem this way when I'm in surf right, definitely less resistance.

Boat is 2019 23 lsv

wdr

Experiencing the same thing. I just make sure to give myself as much maneuver room as possible to turn before the rider drops. 

gregtay

The difference between the two sides is related to the prop rotation.

My 19 23LSV is the same as yours, I pretty much need to steer full left to keep it going straight and I need to use quite a bit of force to keep the rudder in that position. Really missing GSA from my last 23LSV, almost zero countersteer needed. I expected SG to need a little counter steer (and say that on my demo) but I have to put in a crazy amount of force to hold the wheel full left. Long surfing days are going to result in very tired arms! 😳.  I don’t think there is anything wrong with my boat, just how SG works. 

ahopkinsVTX

@TallRedRider did you ever get your steering adjusted? 

weekender
2 hours ago, gregtay said:

The difference between the two sides is related to the prop rotation.

My 19 23LSV is the same as yours, I pretty much need to steer full left to keep it going straight and I need to use quite a bit of force to keep the rudder in that position. Really missing GSA from my last 23LSV, almost zero countersteer needed. I expected SG to need a little counter steer (and say that on my demo) but I have to put in a crazy amount of force to hold the wheel full left. Long surfing days are going to result in very tired arms! 😳.  I don’t think there is anything wrong with my boat, just how SG works. 

That makes sense from the prop rotation.

What's gsa and sg?

SouthsideBoarder

That’s interesting. 

I wonder other than engine what is different as I have an 18 23lsv and while it pulls to the right a little it doesn’t seem as severe as what you’re describing. 

gregtay
4 minutes ago, SouthsideBoarder said:

That’s interesting. 

I wonder other than engine what is different as I have an 18 23lsv and while it pulls to the right a little it doesn’t seem as severe as what you’re describing. 

I’m running the M6 with the 2277... so I shouldn’t be all the different from the Raptor in an 18 (guessing you have the same prop or a 2249)

gregtay
Just now, gregtay said:

I’m running the M6 with the 2277... so I shouldn’t be all the different from the Raptor in an 18 (guessing you have the same prop or a 2249)

The only other difference would be PW2 vs. PW3.. but can’t see how that would impact things.

SouthsideBoarder
1 minute ago, gregtay said:

I have the 2249. Sometimes wish a had the 2277. 

Wouldn’t think PW3 would change steering as much from 2. I think it’s supposed to be the same sized foil just different and more angles than 2. 

MFknK

I wonder if your steering is out of alignment or if the little "counter steer"(not sure what its called) tab on the rudder is out of whack.

My A24 requires a slight adjustment in steering when the surf gate extends, but then drives straight on its own for the most part.

weekender

its only when surfing regular. which means starboard side gate is out, which would cause the boat to steer right. with the addition of the prop rotation pulling boat also to the right, i could see why this causes a hard right pull requiring counter steer to left. 

Just confused why this isnt a problem for earlier years / models it seems?

What is this 'counter steer element' of the rudder mentioned above?

23LSVOwner

Gates are bigger for MY19 on most models.

Ifinallygota21v

Same issue on 22lsv. I wonder if hydraulic steering would eliminate the issue

pauley71
4 minutes ago, Ifinallygota21v said:

Same issue on 22lsv. I wonder if hydraulic steering would eliminate the issue

I wouldn't think so.  I would be easier to turn but shouldn't impact the ability to turn.  I don't have the issue, definitely requires a correction but its not a full left either.

pauley71
2 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Gates are bigger for MY19 on most models.

Surfgates are larger?  Which models?  I hadn't heard this and honestly never looked at my '19 (23 LSV) closely.

23LSVOwner
14 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

Surfgates are larger?  Which models?  I hadn't heard this and honestly never looked at my '19 (23 LSV) closely.

Don't know them all, only that it is on most models.

weekender
54 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

I wouldn't think so.  I would be easier to turn but shouldn't impact the ability to turn.  I don't have the issue, definitely requires a correction but its not a full left either.

you have the 19 23 lsv and dont have this issue surfing regular? what prop do you have?

pauley71
Posted (edited)

This is my 4th Malibu and I haven't noticed anything different (but wasn't looking for anything either).  It definitely pulls when engaged but that's to be expected since a giant paddle pops out. 

I'm pretty much at sea level so whatever the standard prop is.
  ^^^ I should know this but sadly don't .. haha

Edited by pauley71

wdr

2249 is the default prop when the screen popped up for mine when I ordered, YRMV. I went 2773 which put the peak torque center mass @ 3800 rpm with max ballast and pnp for me. Would I do it again, doubtful. I am seeing 20 mph at 3700 rpm. Good thing we don't cruise much.

TallRedRider
On 6/2/2019 at 6:16 AM, ahopkinsVTX said:

@TallRedRider did you ever get your steering adjusted? 

Yes.  It was likely not set correctly from the factory.  It has made a significant difference.  I still don't think it turns very well to the left when surfing on the port side, but at least it does turn now.  

Pnwrider

Could always order the next boat with hydraulic steering. Think @Anderson24 did on his axis and reported good results with how it performed while surfing. 

granddaddy55
23 hours ago, MFknK said:

I wonder if your steering is out of alignment or if the little "counter steer"(not sure what its called) tab on the rudder is out of whack.

My A24 requires a slight adjustment in steering when the surf gate extends, but then drives straight on its own for the most part.

Something is wrong, my ‘14 A20 drives straight as an arrow listed or unlisted, steers in  both directions surfing either side , is it the size difference in the boats ??  

We have to make turns in rivers surfing either side and never have an issue 

wdr

I think it is just this hull. Didn't think I would ever say this, but my '10 LSV drove like a DD in comparison to my '19. Ballasted or not, it is a pig at slow speed. My wife does all of the trailering and is not having fun anymore showing off her skills to younger wake boat guys at the dock. :( 

kerpluxal
1 hour ago, wdr said:

I think it is just this hull. Didn't think I would ever say this, but my '10 LSV drove like a DD in comparison to my '19. Ballasted or not, it is a pig at slow speed. My wife does all of the trailering and is not having fun anymore showing off her skills to younger wake boat guys at the dock. :( 

Your new boat has more free board which adds more weight. The new one ways a lot more dry compared to your 2010. That is why it handles different.