Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004 VLX surf wake recipe?

Faceplant409

Wow! Have not been here in a long time... Daughter played year round softball for 10+ years.... Summers were spent at the field... not on the water... I'd be lucky if we got 1-2 single day trips a year. :-(
Looking to build a decent surf wake in our VLX as I'm OLD now and surfing is sooo much easier on the body. 
I have 750s in the rear lockers, manual wedge, center tank, and a small manual fill bag under the front playpen. 
It's been so long since I even filled the ballast I don't remember what I had done or what worked... 
Do I need lead or sand bags? Suction cup or bolt on thingies? 
Thanks in advance all!
Patrick 

My setup:

- 1100's in each rear locker, though they can't fully fill (~900lbs)
- 640 (I believe) bag in the ski locker (~500lbs)
- Under seat bow bag (~300lbs)
- Bag under port seats (~300lbs)
- 100lbs of lead stuff way up in the nose, you have to take apart the entire front interior to do this
- 100lbs port and 100lbs starboard of lead, hidden between the interior and hull, right in front of the rear bags
- 200lbs of movable lead, typically just left under the bow filler cushion.
- Floating wedge
- Suction wake device

All ballast is hidden, as it should be.

If I were to go to something like Go Surf Assist, I'd still need a fair amount of weight plus the manual wedge, right?  

My setup

No Wedge (Seems to make the wave worse)

1100's in the rear lockers. Like nitrosbird as full as possible but can't fully fill

400lbs of lead in bow

4000lbs bag on to of bow seats (1000lb triangle bow sack on the way to hopefully get the bow down more)

Center bag as full as possible

Wicked Wake shaper

2 hours ago, Faceplant409 said:

If I were to go to something like Go Surf Assist, I'd still need a fair amount of weight plus the manual wedge, right?  

Only difference would be the GSA vs the suction cup deal.  All weights would be similar.

My 2004 vlx, before I sold it

stock mls full

2x400lb fat sacs in rear (1 each side rear locker)

1000lb fat sac triangle in front

Wake surf edge device.

worked good, not like a 2019 monster, and had to watch for swamping in rough water

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2019 at 10:32 AM, Faceplant409 said:

Same amount of weight as a suckgate setup however GSA on my hull (05 to 08 vlx hull) requires more weight in the rear due to some lift from the tabs, which has the benefit of losing the bow bag and supplimenting stock bow ballast with some lead instead.  We were very happy due to gaining back bow seating.  And yes.....wedge is needed to simulate more weight to the rear with GSA.

Edited by bovhica