Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

05 VLX With 340 Engine, Surging Idle

Hi All, I am struggling with an intermittent issue that popped up before I put the boat away in the fall. It's happening again this spring. At the end of a longer outing (typically pulling a wakeboarder or similar) I come back to put my boat in the lift and the idle will drop quite a bit to nearly a stall and then surge back up to 1100 or more and this just repeats. This obviously makes docking a pain the a** when you have to engage at 1100 rpms and slam a bit into gear. This seems to happen at the end of a run, I have not noticed it for instance on startup or when I take a quick run to the gas pump across the bay.

Could you helpful folks give me some troubleshooting ideas? Engine has almost 1400 hours. Here is what I think I should try:

1. Plugs and fluids are new as of last fall at putaway time.
  2. I have owned the boat ~350 hours and have never done cap, rotor and wires so I think that could be a start. Any recommendations on part sourcing?
  3. I have heard some say to check the cannon plug.
  4. Is there a MAF sensor or similar that I should clean/replace
  5. The filter is a K&N that I have never cleaned.
  6. I haven't changed the fuel filter since I bought it 3 seasons ago.
  7. I have occasionally (maybe 3x) had the boat say low oil pressure then coming down to a stop from high speed. I think this was just being a quart low but others have said to check the cannon plug on this. Could be completely unrelated.

Is there any other troubleshooting I can do before just tossing 500 bucks in parts in and crossing my fingers?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide!

formulaben

I would start with IAC valve...weird, posted this like 3 times in the last 3 days, but anyhow super quick check next time it does it, or just pull it now and clean or replace with new.  Mine was under $40 at O'Reilley's IIRC.  Your boat is close enough that tutorial should be pretty close.

• Haha 1
Just now, formulaben said:

I would start with IAC valve...weird, posted this like 3 times in the last 3 days, but anyhow super quick check next time it does it, or just pull it now and clean or replace with new.  Mine was under $40 at O'Reilley's IIRC.  Your boat is close enough that tutorial should be pretty close.

Thanks! I searched in the fall but I should have searched again.