Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sunsetter or wakesetter

Sshave

Look at the brochure for that year boat. You should see some options that make a sunsetter a wakesetter.

Sunsetter with factory ballast and tower should be a wakesetter

Depending on the year the sunsetter and wakesetter are identical. My 1996 Sunsetter VLX is a V-drive with the stock tower. Previous owner had the oem tower installed. The only way anyone would now mine is a sunsetter is if you catch the paint at the right angle you can see the word "Sunsetter" in the fade.

I would suggest title or an inspection in good light of the gell coat. Both sides of my boat said it in the last couple feet towards the back of each side.

Depending on the model year, Wakesetter was just a package of options (tower, center ballast, wedge, graphics) that could be added to direct or v - drive Sunsetters. 

• Like 2

Pretty sure Sunsetters do not have sub floor ballast (MLS). I know in 08 that was the main difference between the Wakesetter VLX and Sunsetter VLX.

On 5/31/2019 at 12:50 PM, Chappy said:

Pretty sure Sunsetters do not have sub floor ballast (MLS). I know in 08 that was the main difference between the Wakesetter VLX and Sunsetter VLX.

No such animal.  Last year for the Sunsetter VLX was 2001.  Sunsetter VLX was made from '96-2001.  Wakesetter was an option package in 1999, and "technically" its own model in 2000 for the VLX but not really its own until 2001, where the Sunsetter VLX got the diamond hull so there was an actual difference between the two.

On 5/31/2019 at 7:32 AM, braindamage said:

In general: 

sunsetter=direct drive

wakesetter=v-drive

Uhhh, no.  There are DD Wakesetter models and tons of Sunsetter VLX's out there.

3 hours ago, Chappy said:

@Nitrousbird You are correct, I was referring to the Sunscape VLX and got it mixed up with the Sunsetter VLX.  Was the Sunscape basically the replacement for the Sunsetter?

No such thing as a Sunscape VLX. The Sunscape 21 LSV replaced the Sunsetter VLX.

A Sunsetter can be a Fakesetter

A Fakesetter can not be a Wakesetter

A Sunsetter can not be a Wakesetter

But they can all look nearly identical.  :)  Confused?

Best bet, post pictures here and let us tell you what it is.  Or give the hull ID number to a Malibu dealer.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Who writes your material?  Dr. Seuss??  :)

5 hours ago, UWSkier said:

But they can all look nearly identical.  :) Confused?

Best bet, post pictures here and let us tell you what it is.  Or give the hull ID number to a Malibu dealer.

1999.  Wakesetter was not its own model.  It was the "Wakesetter Wakeboard Package" that could be optioned onto a Sunsetter.

It doesnt really matter since all the options that differentiate them can be easily added aftermarket.  

Make sure you get the hull and condition you want.  See what options you want that are missing.  Price those out and make sure you're happy with the total price.  

If you have any questions post as many photos as possible and we can help.