Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Underwater Lights have constant power, why???

I just got done with the underwater lights install on my 2018 Axis A24. 

I installed 2 Abyss Starfish RGB with the controller. 

I used the factory harness at the transom labeled underwater lights for power to the controlIer. 

When I turn the key on, the controller comes on. I have toggled the switch on and off but there is constant power.

I hate to think its bleed coming from somewhere...

Any ideas???

Put a volt meter across the B+ and B- inputs of the controller with the light switch off. If theres voltage, the issue is with the boat and its wiring. If no voltage, then the issue is with controller down. 

If the key is on, there is voltage. 

Didnt know if maybe the factory lights were on a relay. I have a full diagram for the boat. I don’t see a relay on it,  but being as the fuse is on a circuit board, I don’t know exactly controlling power.

I should add that the controller seems to be functioning correctly with all colors changes etc.

Edited by MFknK

The underwater lights you installed may be drawing too much amperage for the boat's power module controlled u/w light circuit and locking the it in the on position.  Try using a relay with an independent fused power source to the battery for the lights and use the boat's u/w light wiring to trigger the relay.

• Like 2

They are supposed to be 3 amp each. 

But when I connected the B+ and B+ to the controller and turned the key switch, the controller powered up.

I could see how if I hit the button/switch it could be possible for the switch to stick open, but the light on the dash is off...

3 hours ago, MFknK said:

They are supposed to be 3 amp each. 

Thats at 24V IIRC,thats why they have to have their own controller.

13 hours ago, MFknK said:

If the key is on, there is voltage. 

Disconnect the wires from the controller and measure again. If voltage is still present, issue is with boat. Shorted PDM, mis-labeled under-H2O harness thats actually a constant not a switched etc. Short to B+ on the underwater H2O harness, etc. 

Yup I am going to install a relay. 

That being said. I spoke to Malibu after testing again. They had me check a couple of readings, the decided it was a bad secondary PCM. 

They are shipping me a new one to install myself so that I don’t have to wait on dealer to warranty. 

Great service!

I will circle back once installed to report.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MLA said:

Thats at 24V IIRC,thats why they have to have their own controller.

Disconnect the wires from the controller and measure again. If voltage is still present, issue is with boat. Shorted PDM, mis-labeled under-H2O harness thats actually a constant not a switched etc. Short to B+ on the underwater H2O harness, etc. 

The website states 3amp@12v. 

I am not saying you are wrong, but they don’t give you a whole lot of info to go off of...