Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf gate stuck

Hey guys, 2014 T22 while switching sides with a bunch of extra ballast the alarm goes off and the driver side gate won’t go back in. Tried calibrating and power off for a while but nothing seems to work. Likely a fuse and it sounds like those are in the front of the engine compartment somewhere? Does anyone have a photo of this, I had to leave the lake and now hoping to pick up the right style fuses. 

I also can’t get the wedge up as it’s hitting the FAE pipe, reset the pipe and tightened the hose clamps (felt like maybe too tight) but it did it again, thinking of trimming an inch off the length. (Edit- sounds like the dealer forgot to put the screws in that I need) 

@Raimie

Edited by Swade

Sorry you are having trouble with the gates. I believe there is a re-settable circuit protector for each surf gate actuator mounted to the front of the engine compartment near where the ballast shut off ball valve is located. Maybe another '14 owner can get pics? @BlknYlwT22 Sorry, I'm not more help on this, I sold my '14 a year and a half ago and never experienced any SG issues.

My wedge was hitting the FAE pipe as well and I ever so slightly trimmed the downpipe. (probably 1/8").

I found the fuse for the gates. It’s at the front of the engine compartment, actually under the rear seat.  It didn’t look blown but I took the 25 amp out and put in a 30 and ran the configuration and it worked again. 

10 hours ago, Swade said:

I found the fuse for the gates. It’s at the front of the engine compartment, actually under the rear seat.  It didn’t look blown but I took the 25 amp out and put in a 30 and ran the configuration and it worked again. 

You should put a 25 back in there when you can. Bad things can happen when you change fuse amperages in panels.

If the fuse blew, it blew for a reason.  This reminds me of the old days when a glass house panel fuse would blow, people would stick a penny in to replace it! (I reno'ed   a couple of old homes and found this).  Put the right amperage fuse back in please.

2 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

If the fuse blew, it blew for a reason.  This reminds me of the old days when a glass house panel fuse would blow, people would stick a penny in to replace it! (I reno'ed   a couple of old homes and found this).  Put the right amperage fuse back in please.

I have rewired a few burned down houses because of the pennies. :cry:

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2014 a20, been  recently fighting the left retraction fault and fixing it with calibration snd service but was happening often this last month

@Timyoung    fuse is just above the port ballast ball valve to the right coming out of a plastic corrugated electrical line conduit, its 30 amp and mine was good and since the right gate worked i really  didnt need to check it !!

after my stuck out left actuator worked both directions on normal and reverse polarity when i jumped from the battery the female left surfgate plug , i unscrewed the control box from the transom then i unscrewed the 1/4” hex bolt on the top of the control box plug and discovered corrosion on the left side male and female sides (which is at bottom when mounted to transom) guessing water and or condensation when present run to the bottom as the right plug which is the top of plug when box is mounted was perfectly clean

that year axis is so dependable as this SG system is the debugged for two years ‘13 Malibu system,  should have known it was corrosion

left the long jumper with the open jumper ends taped connected to battery in case it happens again on water i can unplug that gate and jump it back in 

Edited by granddaddy55
On 6/7/2019 at 9:09 AM, 18vlxguy said:

You should put a 25 back in there when you can. Bad things can happen when you change fuse amperages in panels.

@Swade@Sparky450

mine was 30 amp from the factory when i checked mine today

Edited by granddaddy55

We have a 2015 T23 and have been fighting this problem for the last year. First our surf gate would simply retract while surfing. So we had some connection block replaced. Then it continued which made us think it was the actuator so we had that replaced. Earlier this year, it would only retract 50% and while surfing it would extend to the correct position. Then out of the blue, it retracted back in fully and we haven't had a problem for weeks. Again, out of the blue had it get stuck open for a surf session and the next day it worked perfectly. 

We've tried calibrating the surf gate a bunch of times and sometimes it will fix it for a day or two and sometimes the problem will just persist. I'm fairly confident the problem is with moisture or water corrosion but I haven't spent much time trying to learn the wiring of the boat and the actuators. I think that is our next step. Our dealer is great but the last time we brought it in, they couldn't find any problems including troubleshooting on water. If I can learn what wires run where, that should give me an idea of what to look for. Are there any wiring schematics for these boats available? Or should I just start digging into it?

read my post above about corrosion in the surfgate control box screwed to transom with the waterproof plugs for each gate labeled and  tucked up high (but those plugs wont be the problem),  control box is not a water or moisture proof situation  and your having intermittent problems(though not same problem ad mine, stuck out with gate retraction fault error)

Edited by granddaddy55
  • 1 month later...
On 6/19/2020 at 2:21 PM, granddaddy55 said:

2014 a20, been  recently fighting the left retraction fault and fixing it with calibration snd service but was happening often this last month

@Timyoung    fuse is just above the port ballast ball valve to the right coming out of a plastic corrugated electrical line conduit, its 30 amp and mine was good and since the right gate worked i really  didnt need to check it !!

after my stuck out left actuator worked both directions on normal and reverse polarity when i jumped from the battery the female left surfgate plug , i unscrewed the control box from the transom then i unscrewed the 1/4” hex bolt on the top of the control box plug and discovered corrosion on the left side male and female sides (which is at bottom when mounted to transom) guessing water and or condensation when present run to the bottom as the right plug which is the top of plug when box is mounted was perfectly clean

that year axis is so dependable as this SG system is the debugged for two years ‘13 Malibu system,  should have known it was corrosion

left the long jumper with the open jumper ends taped connected to battery in case it happens again on water i can unplug that gate and jump it back in 

2016 22 MXZ with same problem. Both surf gate fuses (40amp from factory) were blown. Replaced and all is well.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, JT99 said:

2016 22 MXZ with same problem. Both surf gate fuses (40amp from factory) were blown. Replaced and all is well.

different system with the hydraulic faster rams