Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transmission failures?

2005 LSV.  So I’m currently having my transmission replaced after what I thought was a damper plate failure. First time on the water for the season just making sure everything was good to go. Was running smoothly. I did a few starts mimicking pulling up a boarder then the 3rd time I slowed all the way down to listen and check engine. Heard a slight rattle turned off. Springs on damper plate had failed stuck between starter. Took into shop and at first thought it was just that since it’s a common issue. But transmission wouldn’t shift into forward so getting that replaced. $2500 transmission.  Quotes only 3 hours instead of 10 since Engine already out for damper plate. 

Causes??!

Not sure everything was great until that moment. Never heard any loud or bad noises other then those springs slightly and immediately turned off. Boat was running great. Thinking transmission got stuff caused damper plate to do it’s job to prevent engine damage. 

Only thought, last year forgot back middle plug next to vdrive. Boat started to take on water. Got to floor immediately put back on trailer, emptied, checked fluids all looked good went back out enjoyed Labor Day. Water was over 3/4 way up transmission area when I noticed it. Anyways winterized boat and put away. I usually drain water to engine both sides all hoses then reattach run 5 gallons of antifreeze then empty again leave plugs out. Wanna make sure any water left has at least antifreeze. I’m wondering if some water got into tranny and caused some kind of rusting/corrosion over the winter and that first run did her in? Even after running it and I stopped it I checked all fluids and still looked perfect. Reddish tint no smoke. Anyways has me wondering. Transmission shifts Into reverse and neutral but no forward. 

Just wamted to post what happened to me hopefully others change your fluids if this ever happens to you. Also wondering why others had transmission failures since I’ve read these are pretty bullet proof. 

Edited by joaquin12345
Forgot info