Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Opinions Needed: ‘05 23 LSV vs. ‘08 VRide

MavDax

Sorry for yet another “help me choose my boat” post, but this one is tricky for me.

I have not been in the water in a long time, and just bought a house on a lake. I used to wakeboard growing up behind anything I could, and looking to also start again as well as begin wake surfing. My wife Did not grow up on water, so doesn’t really care, other than having it be a good reliable, long lasting family boat within our budget ($30k..ish). We have 2 small children with cousins that will be coming over. So I have concerns about size on the VRide.

So the options are a 2005 Wakesetter 23 LSV with just over 500 hrs. Nothing really seems updates except an extra 750 fat sac. Good condition, no big tears or seam rips, Gel Coat is supposedly in good condition. Tandem axel trailer. This is Not from a dealer, but  an individual that is 3.5 hrs away. Price is $35k, which is actually a little over budget. I would have to get local marina to do any testing (I.e compression) We don’t have a truck, so I would have to rent one.

The second option is an ‘08 VRide. Has the tower, manual wedge, two 200lb and one 500lb ballast. This is from a dealer about 2 hrs away, who is willing to deliver. They are running through the boat, replacing some things like Ballast pumps, did compression testing, cleaning, etc. pretty good condition, with a little dock rash, a small split in a seam, new custom cover and Bimini, also mid 500 hr range. Price $31k.

Does the 2005 LSV have a wedge?  If so and the engine checks out that would be a better option for wake boarding and surfing - and the family.  The LSV does seem overpriced at $35, especially if there are ANY tears in the interior.

Prices are always negotiable and renting a truck for a day is no big deal compared to liking or not liking a boat.  If you give the location perhaps a crew member could check the interior/features out for you? 

I would probably go with the 05. You will have more room and prices seem to be consistent with the boats. Depends what area your in. Might let us know. As far as the 05 if they are going to be stuck at 35k I would make sure the damper plate has been replaced at one point. These happen to have failures in the plate costing you about $2500-3000 to replace if that’s all thatbis damaged. 

1 hour ago, minnmarker said:

Does the 2005 LSV have a wedge?  If so and the engine checks out that would be a better option for wake boarding and surfing - and the family.  The LSV does seem overpriced at $35, especially if there are ANY tears in the interior.

Prices are always negotiable and renting a truck for a day is no big deal compared to liking or not liking a boat.  If you give the location perhaps a crew member could check the interior/features out for you? 

Yes there is a manual wedge. Boat is near the Milwaukee, WI area. 

1 hour ago, joaquin12345 said:

I would probably go with the 05. You will have more room and prices seem to be consistent with the boats. Depends what area your in. Might let us know. As far as the 05 if they are going to be stuck at 35k I would make sure the damper plate has been replaced at one point. These happen to have failures in the plate costing you about $2500-3000 to replace if that’s all thatbis damaged. 

I am in northern Indiana. The person bought the boat 5 years ago, so not sure he would know about the damper. How could I check?

6 minutes ago, MavDax said:

I am in northern Indiana. The person bought the boat 5 years ago, so not sure he would know about the damper. How could I check?

Was that only a problem in that year’s LSV? Would it not be an issue on the VRide?

9 minutes ago, MavDax said:

Was that only a problem in that year’s LSV? Would it not be an issue on the VRide?

Yes, any boat with an Indmar Monsoon engine will have that risk.  The exact year range is uncertain but 2005 is in there.  The damper plate is not sure to have failed yet (mine has not - knock knock) and perhaps never will.  The current owner may know nothing about it.  Unlikely that it failed and was fixed before he bought it - just because it probably had few hours on it.  If you approach it right maybe you can get the price down by bringing up the risk.

All that said, the LSV will be a better boat for your intended uses.

8 hours ago, minnmarker said:

Yes, any boat with an Indmar Monsoon engine will have that risk.  The exact year range is uncertain but 2005 is in there.  The damper plate is not sure to have failed yet (mine has not - knock knock) and perhaps never will.  The current owner may know nothing about it.  Unlikely that it failed and was fixed before he bought it - just because it probably had few hours on it.  If you approach it right maybe you can get the price down by bringing up the risk.

All that said, the LSV will be a better boat for your intended uses.

Thanks for all the info. I know LSV is the best, but starting to look like it won’t work out. Any thoughts on ‘05 Supra Launch 22 SSV or ‘08 Launch 21V? I know Hull changed in ‘07, but how do these compare to the VRide?

On 5/30/2019 at 1:40 PM, minnmarker said:

Yes, any boat with an Indmar Monsoon engine will have that risk.  The exact year range is uncertain but 2005 is in there.  The damper plate is not sure to have failed yet (mine has not - knock knock) and perhaps never will. 

'04 - '06 are the risky years, with '05 being a not if, but when it will fail.  Bell housing is considered the cause, and I wouldn't dare buy a '05 unless I saw documentation of replacement of both or several thousand off to cover that risk.

On 5/30/2019 at 9:29 AM, MavDax said:

We don’t have a truck, so I would have to rent one.

How do you intend to use the boat if you don't have a way to get it to/from the lake?  Seems like you are putting the cart before the horse.

On 6/2/2019 at 9:57 AM, Nitrousbird said:

'04 - '06 are the risky years, with '05 being a not if, but when it will fail.  Bell housing is considered the cause, and I wouldn't dare buy a '05 unless I saw documentation of replacement of both or several thousand off to cover that risk.

How do you intend to use the boat if you don't have a way to get it to/from the lake?  Seems like you are putting the cart before the horse.

He bought a lake house, so presumably he only needs a tow vehicle periodically.

On 6/2/2019 at 9:57 AM, Nitrousbird said:

Thanks for the info. I live on the lake.

Edited by MavDax
6 hours ago, Chatty21VLX said:

He bought a lake house, so presumably he only needs a tow vehicle periodically.

Find a neighbor with a truck.  They're probably looking for a reason to use it!

Plus you'll probably make a new friend.

• 2 weeks later...

keep in mind in 05 the LSV could be had with either the diamond or the wake hull.  IIRC 06 is when the Wakesetter LSV became a separate model with the wake hull.  Previously they were all sunsetter LSV's with the wakesetter package added.