Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

08 Wakesetter (How to listen to stereo by turning key to left)

Davis319

The stereo powers up on my 08 VLX as soon as I turn the Battery Switch on. I can tell because the lights on the amps come on. However, with the key straight up and down (in the off position) it will not play music, but it still seems as if it’s pulling power from the stereo I assume. The only way that I can listen to the stereo currently is by turning the ignition key one click to the right, which primes the fuel, etc... I don’t like this option. It also will work obviously when the boat is running. Is there an easy fix that I can do so that I can listen to the stereo by turning the key to the left instead??

Also, my screens come up as soon as I turn my battery switch on. They do this even with the key in the off position. Doesn’t seem right. Other boats I have been in, when you turn the battery switch on, nothing happens. You have to actually turn the key then for the screens to activate, etc. any thoughts here??

It sounds like your electrical system has been modded at some point in the last 10 years.

You may have an issue with the key switch having been replaced and not wired back correctly or the wrong key switch.

Your screens shouldn't light up if the key is in the off position when powering the battery switch.

Does your key switch have a "Left" position?

At the least, if you don't have a left position, you can move your stereo power to a manual switch for powering on.

5 hours ago, Davis319 said:

Is there an easy fix

Ill word it like this, there is no quick fix. Seems as if you have one glaring issue and one not so use friendly. Amps should not turn on until the head unit tells them to. This is a turn-on wiring issue. Once that is fixed, then you can relocate the head unit's switched IGN circuit from the key to an unused rocker switch.