Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Considering 08 247 LSV 413 Hours

Ljn21

Hi Everyone

I am new to wake boats, have always been in bow riders before but our kids are getting more into surfing and wake boarding and we are looking for a boat that had more room aft of the captain for guests and socializing without getting to big in over all length. 

I am considering a 2008 247 LSV with 413 hours on the 8.1 Vortec. Here is the add, we go see it on Saturday. 

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/boa/d/mooresville-malibu-wakesetter-247-lsv/6880258736.html

My question is around the age of the boat...any reason to he concerned about a 12 year old boat? Talked with the owner and it appears he has taken good care of it, at least he says so, hours seem below average per year. Any thoughts from the community?

Also on resale value, not sure what may happen 4 or 5 years down the road, if we get in a position where we want to upgrade or get back to a bow rider, do you think the age would be a hindrance as it would be 16-17 year old boat at that point?

Anything in particular we should check or look for when we go see and drive it this weekend?

From what I have seen, the older boats like this depreciate very little compared to new if you keep them up. 

@TimbrSS has a 2006 LSV247 with the 8.1 engine, his has has about 775hrs now and we were out surfing on it last night actually. He added the GSA surf tabs a few years ago and the boat throws an awesome surf wave (he also has added the triangle bow bag, PnP bags in transom lockers and 500lbs of lead, looks like this boat just has the factory ballast tanks which can be a good thing, less stress on boat previously and you can customize it how you want). TimbrSS could tell you some of the common things to look for and/or may require replacement on this boat/engine combo. I think 2005/2006 were main years for issues with damper plate/bell housing, but that is something to check into and see if it has been replaced.

IMO, age is not a big deal if maintained right and hours do seem pretty low, looking at the pics this boat does look to be in very good shape and always nice to pick up a 1 owner boat since current owner should know everything about it. Seems like it was taken care of if pics do it justice. Good idea to do compression test and have a mechanic check it out if you get serious. Get maintenance records, listen closely to engine/trans/vdrive when lake testing. Check out the trailer too, some people take care of the boat, but neglect trailer and a 2008 could need new tires, bearings, etc. Good idea to look at the checklist that Granddaddy55 referenced and make notes so you don't forget to check everything when looking at the boat. Good luck on the lake test Saturday.

1 hour ago, granddaddy55 said:

Search for the used inboard checklist from wakegirl? 

@ahopkinsVTX has dredged it up many times 

14 minutes ago, Infinitysurf said:

From what I have seen, the older boats like this depreciate very little compared to new if you keep them up. 

@TimbrSS has a 2006 LSV247 with the 8.1 engine, his has has about 775hrs now and we were out surfing on it last night actually. He added the GSA surf tabs a few years ago and the boat throws an awesome surf wave (he also has added the triangle bow bag, PnP bags in transom lockers and 500lbs of lead, looks like this boat just has the factory ballast tanks which can be a good thing, less stress on boat previously and you can customize it how you want). TimbrSS could tell you some of the common things to look for and/or may require replacement on this boat/engine combo. I think 2005/2006 were main years for issues with damper plate/bell housing, but that is something to check into and see if it has been replaced.

IMO, age is not a big deal if maintained right and hours do seem pretty low, looking at the pics this boat does look to be in very good shape and always nice to pick up a 1 owner boat since current owner should know everything about it. Seems like it was taken care of if pics do it justice. Good idea to do compression test and have a mechanic check it out if you get serious. Get maintenance records, listen closely to engine/trans/vdrive when lake testing. Check out the trailer too, some people take care of the boat, but neglect trailer and a 2008 could need new tires, bearings, etc. Good idea to look at the checklist that Granddaddy55 referenced and make notes so you don't forget to check everything when looking at the boat. Good luck on the lake test Saturday.

Appreciate the inputs! Will look up the checklist mentioned.

Seller is stating he is firm on price but it seems a little high for me. Thoughts on price he is asking?

Like mentioned above, I have an 8.1 247. That boat looks like it's in great condition.  I change out the exhaust riser gaskets every other year, though I believe it's called out as yearly maintenance... just watch it for traces of leaks. Of course regular stuff like impeller get done too. Great engine.. As close as you can get to the supercharged LSA performance without needing to run high octane gas. They should hold their value well, as that's at the high end of what the 06-08 247's were selling for 5 years ago when I got mine. If the guy is firm on the price, what you are getting for that premium is a mint condition museum quality boat, so if you beat it up a bit in the 5 years you have it, you won't be able to pass that premium along, and the hit will be bigger. The only thing it doesn't have that changes the experience of the boat is additional ballast and a surf system.

Set it up right and you can get a pretty decent wave out of it. GSA, Wakemakers 910's in rear lockers, 1000# bow bag (25% full with no crew), 500# of lead.  Wedge 3 clicks up.

20190529_222929.thumb.jpg.f1c7abf116cd8f2ac085d643eec2e5db.jpg

• Like 2

I have an 06 23LSV and it is a great boat.   I was also concerned about the age of the boat, but I've found that Malibu boats age better than Reinell, Bayliner, or Bluewater runabouts.  Better materials, better craftsmanship, and owners usually take better care of them.

The price does seem high to me.  I would expect this boat to max out at 48k, but summer is here so the premium price might be warranted.  Also noted that the ad was placed 27 days ago, so there may be room for negotiation.  If you keep the boat up nice, you will get a very large chunk of your money back if you upgrade after a few years.

Looks like a nice boat.  If it checks out and you are comfortable with the price, go for it!

double captains chairs makes this one a harder sell down the road IMHO.  Some would prefer it (very few tho), but many would say "hard pass" all day long.  I'm not sure I'd pay top of the market pricing for a double-captains boat.

• Like 3

Appreciate the inputs everyone!

I didnt ask the seller about the word stolen on the amps yet, I assumed he did that proatively to deter theft with marking his phone number on them. 

Also would have never thought about the dual captains chair, good feedback there on that option not being so popular!

He is really proud of the boat, I think he wants too much.  If he paid 95K in 2007, I think he paid too much.  Maybe MSRP in 2007, but even that would seem a stretch to get to 95K.   A few folks really prefer the dual captain's chairs, but most people consider that a major problem.  

8.1 was not all that rare in that boat in that year.  

It is a 2007, not a 2008 like the original poster said.  

I wonder if the amps were purchased from a police auction?  It just seems weird to me to have 'stolen' and a phone number etched on there.  

Edited by TallRedRider
18 hours ago, Ljn21 said:

Appreciate the inputs everyone!

I didnt ask the seller about the word stolen on the amps yet, I assumed he did that proatively to deter theft with marking his phone number on them. 

Also would have never thought about the dual captains chair, good feedback there on that option not being so popular!

PM sent, I'm somewhat local and would love to help out.  I think "stolen" on the amps is either brilliant or really stupid.  He should have clarified either way :biggrin:

4 hours ago, Ndawg12 said:

I think "stolen" on the amps is either brilliant or really stupid.

I am absolutely certain it is one of those.

Price is a high! I sold a 2010 247 with a similar stereo, in mint condition and only 403 hours in March of 2016 for 61k. I would start at 45k. 

Overpriced for dual captains chairs.  Not an option most folks want.  I wouldn't even consider it unless the price was low enough to justify the labor and cost to convert it to non-dual's.

Age is not issue.  Motor is phenomenal, the ad is right about torque and fuel mileage being good for surfing etc.   The hull is modern, bottom/water side of 247 hull is same up to 2016 when it turned into 25 Lsv.  

Downsides; tower is not as nice as 2010+ and is prone to cracking.  I put a g3 on my 07 247.  Not a dealbreaker though as the illusion looks great.  

Captains chairs are your preference.  I’ve never owned them.  I’m sure price is the starting price, you can find better deal but trust me there is a whole lot of boat in an 8.1 247, screaming deals are rare unless boat is beat up, at least when I searched for mine a few years ago.   Best boat I’ve owned but most frustrating to buy   

Totally agree with Rugger!  Awesome boat with the 8.1.  I still love my illusion x tower.  Duel captain chairs would not be deal breaker.  Maybe a bit high in price...but hopefully he will negotiate a little.  A plus that he is original owner.  I would go for it.