Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

G3.5 Tower Handle hard to Unlock/Lock

19' LSV 22: Seems the Lock/Unlock handle is very hard to turn. It has been in service twice, first time they replaced the locking mechanism on the port side now it's so hard to turn i cannot get it back in the locked position.   The starboard side was so tight once it finally "Broke" loose it almost acted like it "popped" free of being in a bind. When i took it back to service dept. they can't seem to replicate the problem which is crazy because i dropped it off in the state as described. My question is, am i missing something? In locked position the handle feels as though is falls into a detent, correct? Also, too-note the setscrews that holds the handle onto the hex-shaft wasn't even tightened down on either side. I realize this could act differently on the water ver's on the trailer but with all due respect this was so tight i felt like i needed a cheater bar to break it free. (starboard side) This is a huge problem for me, i need to lower the tower to get it into storage, so if i keep having these issues on a new boat now, this can't seem to have a favorable outcome later. I apologize if this issue has been covered in prior topic, i couldn't find anything.

Maybe you need to be there to show them?

There may be a difference in how they are unlocking/locking vs. how you are doing it? Only variable I can see.

So what I do know is when they are locked the handle is in a vertical position. (factory installed) The starboard side now after this last instance locked in a horizontal position. Also, i have notice the handle is no longer flush with tower body. (Vertical from grade or hall of boat)

Edited by CMG

The latching hooks for the 3.5 tower have a cam locking style mechanism that not only moves from side to side, but also up and down as the lever is turned.  Every time the latch is released, the lever needs to be be turned all the way around until it completely stops so the cam mechanism can be reset and moves to the full up position before it is turned back to the locking position.  Otherwise, the latching hooks may not be high enough to properly engage the latch pins in the tower and can bind up.  I don't know if that is the issue you are having, but give it a try and see if it helps.

20 hours ago, CMG said:

So what I do know is when they are locked the handle is in a vertical position. (factory installed) The starboard side now after this last instance locked in a horizontal position. Also, i have notice the handle is no longer flush with tower body. (Vertical from grade or hall of boat)

The handle position can be adjusted. Loosen the allen screw on the handle, remove and turn, reinstall, tighten allen screw back up.

So they replaced both locking mechanisms. Port side is much easier by far to unlock/lock than starboard side. (Yes, they are both clocking in the same positions.) I'm assuming these are adjustable. My wife is still struggling with locking the starboard side so my fear is i'll have to dig into this more myself. (Which i feel is shouldn't have to since it's a new boat!) I always get a since these service guys think this is a Yugo priced merchandise, every screw they touched on the tower has rolled edges on the Phillips heads. Thanks for everyone's input! 

I have the same issues.

What I found if I pulled?pushed on the upper part at the pivot it made it easier when locking. Try that when you go to lock it and then you may be able to adjust it?