Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

G3.5 tower springs back up when lowered

1 hour ago, 1107 said:

2019 G3.5 tower won't stay in the lowered position.   When I let go of it, it springs back to upright.   Any ideas?  

I use a small rubber and plastic bungee cord to tie it down to the steering wheel. This works great for moving the boat in and out of the garage.

However, I know this isn't part of your question but don't tow with the G3.5 down. It's not designed for that.

Love that you're in the 'Couve. We go out of James Gleason and Ridgefield all the time. Live up in Salmon Creek. Always happy to help if there's any other questions you have.

Edited by CharlieBeaU
One more thing

There's a possibility that your shocks are the wrong size.  If you add/subtract speakers or more board racks they change the shocks.  I have had them "break in" before as well where over time they'll spring your tower up less.  I'd give it a couple of months and see if that's the deal.  I use a bungee cord when under my lift to keep my tower down, works great.  It's better than having the opposite problem with your shocks.........(under powered, and you'd be lifting your tower up yourself.  Not ideal, the tower is really heavy)

• Like 2

Consider yourself lucky!.. you can add more stuff to your tower and then it will be balanced:).  Changing out the shocks for higher rated ones is a bit of a pain, so you are already ahead of the game.  

• Like 2

I have 1/4" of clearance to get out my 8' garage door.  I use a ratchet strap from tower to grab handle on port passenger side to keep it down.  I had hoped to use a simple bungee to the steering wheel but with 1/4" headroom, I can't take a chance on any stretching.  Personally I am happy that it springs up as our last boat had to be lowered and propped on a board which was a pain with the weight of the tower.  

• Like 2
16 hours ago, CharlieBeaU said:

I use a small rubber and plastic bungee cord to tie it down to the steering wheel. This works great for moving the boat in and out of the garage.

However, I know this isn't part of your question but don't tow with the G3.5 down. It's not designed for that.

Love that you're in the 'Couve. We go out of James Gleason and Ridgefield all the time. Live up in Salmon Creek. Always happy to help if there's any other questions you have.

That's cool your close by.  We usually tow up to Merwin.  We're camping at Cressup 3 times and once at Bill Chinook this summer.  

• Like 1
10 hours ago, gregtay said:

Consider yourself lucky!.. you can add more stuff to your tower and then it will be balanced:).  Changing out the shocks for higher rated ones is a bit of a pain, so you are already ahead of the game.  

Maybe I need more speakers then!!:biggrin:

Thanks for the info.  I need to build a carport for to cover it.  It's much taller than my roof line so the tower needs to be down.  Sounds like a ratchet strap will do the job.  Also looks like a rubber or plastic piece could wedge in the opening created when the tower is forward.   

9 minutes ago, 1107 said:

Thanks for the info.  I need to build a carport for to cover it.  It's much taller than my roof line so the tower needs to be down.  Sounds like a ratchet strap will do the job.  Also looks like a rubber or plastic piece could wedge in the opening created when the tower is forward.   

I just used a bungie cord to the steering wheel.  I also have minimal clearance at the garage door, so if the tower is up a little I could hit it.