Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 Malibu vRide surf setup suggestions

SpaceKat

Just acquired my first Malibu and am really excited to experience this boat.  We are coming from a Yamaha jet boat, which we loved, but this should be able to give us so much more.

So a couple of questions:

I think I only have the factory installed center ballast, do i need more?

We have the manual wedge, not the power wedge, is this something that should be upgraded? eventually :)

What about getting a wake shaper?  Like a Swell or a Naticurl? Necessary?  Are those good options?  any other suggestions?

Also, not surf set-up related, but curious what the best aftermarket cover to get for this boat is? I have the original factory cover, but it basically sucks and Malibu doesn't make it anymore.

Thanks and I'll welcome any and all other suggestions for my new toy!

Answers:

Yes - and in the bow area as well.

No - unless you are a baller

Yes - your choice or roll your own

Evolution, but prepare to wait as Cory is backed up.  Great Lakes is an option.

38 minutes ago, SpaceKat said:

Just acquired my first Malibu and am really excited to experience this boat.  We are coming from a Yamaha jet boat, which we loved, but this should be able to give us so much more.

So a couple of questions:

I think I only have the factory installed center ballast, do i need more?

We have the manual wedge, not the power wedge, is this something that should be upgraded? eventually :)

What about getting a wake shaper?  Like a Swell or a Naticurl? Necessary?  Are those good options?  any other suggestions?

Also, not surf set-up related, but curious what the best aftermarket cover to get for this boat is? I have the original factory cover, but it basically sucks and Malibu doesn't make it anymore.

Thanks and I'll welcome any and all other suggestions for my new toy!

All depends...

If you only have center ballast, You will need rear and front ballast... adding ballast only to front and center will decrease your wave size... 

If you are not adding a wake shaper, you will have to list the boat.. More weight on one side than the other.. This is not an issue if all your riders ride on the same side and many will argue that a listed boat produces a better wave.

the boat will need more weight in rear than in front for best results I currently run about 65% weight to rear to 35% in front.. this is quick formula as i have rear, rear mid, mid, front..

Not sure if you can upgrade to Power Wedge. I am sure you can develop your own though if wanted.

• 7 months later...

Just revisiting this as I’m already thinking about next season. Thanks for the responses. 

So would it make sense to fill my factory center ballast when pulling a skier? What about tubing?

As for adding rear weight, would you recommend getting them permanently installed and hooked up to dash electrical switches or just get sacks that fill and drain over the side? 

SpaceKat, I stepped up from a Searay open bow to a 2008 Malibu V-Ride at the end of last year also..and I also am starting to make plans for the coming season.  From what I've researched online so far, and from a guy on our lake that has a 03 VLX... I don't think the wedge is the way to go.  The more I read--it seems to come down to ballast and the addition of a wake shaper on 'older' boats like ours to be a good way to get a decent surf wave.  I'm planning to buy one in the next few months and to spend this coming summer doing more research about ballast set up--I'll post as I go.  

Question: does your V-Ride have a remote stereo control near the throttle control?  Mine has a JBL remote --but it doesn't work with the head unit which has been replaced by a clarion before I bought it.  I'm trying to figure out what is the best way to reconnect the remote -- or just replace both the head unit and the remote with a matched pair.

Regarding the cover--I ordered one last fall from Cory at Evolution -- He's supposed to have it done in March.  I'll post some pics when I get it

• 2 months later...

Hey folks, I’m new to the forum.  I have a 2008 VLX with factory tanks in bow, center and aft.  We added additional bags aft as well.

Regarding the wedge - our actuators crapped out summer before last.  So, we rode the last month of the season with no wedge.  Got the actuators replaced in the off-season and believe me when I tell you that it makes ALL the difference in the world for surfing.  The wave is significantly taller.  If you have heavier folks surfing behind your boat, you need the wedge for sure!