Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Livorsi Throttle replacement - 2014 23 LSV

Lakemurrayskier

Has anyone swapped out their Livorsi throttle assembly themselves or is this a dealer only project?  Boat failed this weekend and almost left me stranded with what appears to be the same issue that several others have had on here with the throttle assembly.  I've swapped the forward and reverse solenoids and it didnt' appear to fix the issue, so it looks like replacing the Livorsi throttle assembly is next.  Just curious if anyone else has done this as a DIY project or if this is a dealer only project?

symptoms - popping out of gear sporadically (tanks full/tanks empty/cruising/pulling/idling) while engine continues to rev up. Also no response from "Start Engine" button one time too b/c I think it thought it was in gear even though it wasn't.  Finally got it to start after messing with the throttle. 

15 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

It is super simple to replace the throttle assembly.  Couple of screws and a couple of electrical plugs.  The painful part is paying for it.

Thank You Sir.  Hoping this will fix my issue since it's been happening on and off since I picked it up last season.

FWIW - might be able to get away cheap if you buy this old centurian one and just re-use your knob.  You would want to make sure though that there wasn't a revision at some point that you care about

https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/livorsi-boat-throttle-control-eec0008296-ski-centurion-side-mount?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o2&scid=scplp1068433&sc_intid=1068433&gclid=CjwKCAjw27jnBRBuEiwAdjQXDIoekTxajFqEO2pOI72k7_f4TGL3FHDRgaigPjn1iMHjHLXoMBmO_RoC8oIQAvD_BwE

Edit - actually that one wouldn't work.  Malibu uses 2 connectors

Edited by oldjeep
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update in case anyone has the same issue.  I had the my dealer check it out,  ohm out the solenoids, check the transmission, and a few other things to verify the throttle assembly was my problem.  Their mechanic evidently called Malibu and Malibu engineer told him the fix was to replace the Livorsi assembly.  Problem is that they had issues with 2013 and 2014 models but they are the only ones that can be used according to Malibu factory.  So those of us out of warranty are stuck buying the new Throttle assembly with a risk of it happening again.  

My symptoms were:

Popping out of gear at any speed with tanks full or empty

Engine continues to rev and jump back in gear

Periodic button to "Start Engine" giving no response b/c it thought it was in gear

End result is it would not come out of neutral and leave you stranded trying to get it to engage.

Good Luck - hope it helps someone else diagnose the proplem without too much money being spent.

Thanks for the post.  I have a replacement Livorsi less then a year old that is failing.  Mine is a 2011 that was originally equipped with a ZF that failed.  Sounds like the Livorsi isn't much better.  Not encouraged by your post.

• 10 months later...

Hey guys I just encountered the issue with the Livorsi throttle on my 2014 23 LSV. I found a $0.16 solution to a $900 problem on these $100k boats. I pulled the throttle assembly off the trim panel. To do that, there's a cover that has to be removed by loosening the 3/16" allen head set screw on the bottom side of the cover. Then you can access the 4 phillips head screws to remove the throttle assembly. There are 2 wiring harnesses that you have to disconnect (trans and throttle). Once removed, remove the 2 allen head screws that hold the black plastic cover to reveal the inner workings of the throttle assy. Remove the allen head screw in the center of the magnetic throttle pick-up/gear selector cam. Carefully remove both the throttle pickup and the cam. This will allow you to remove the circuit board (after unplugging yet another wiring harness.  Upon inspection, there was an obvious discoloration in the sealant coating indication a loose or "hot" connection. Take a soldering iron and gently remove the coating in the burned area. Be careful not to scratch the green portion of the circuit board, there's some information you'll need printed on it. During this process, the component underneath this discolored portion of sealant actually came off with the sealant never to be seen again...that sucked. Then I recognized the symbol for a diode (>I) and "D6" printed on the board. If it doesn't go flying like mine did, it should come off with a little heat from the soldering iron. It will expose 2 contacts that you'll need to clean up and solder a new diode to.  Almost any rectifier diode will do, I used a 1N4001 (you can get these at Radioshack a pack of 25 is 4$). You'll notice that one end of the new diode is banded with silver, that side needs to go in the direction the arrow was pointing on the diagram (to the right). Solder the new diode in and reapply some hotmelt (hot glue) to seal everything up, reassemble the throttle,and BOOM! you're back in business and you saved yourself $900. 

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, SwaggaDraggonCaptain said:

Hey guys I just encountered the issue with the Livorsi throttle on my 2014 23 LSV. I found a $0.16 solution to a $900 problem on these $100k boats. I pulled the throttle assembly off the trim panel. To do that, there's a cover that has to be removed by loosening the 3/16" allen head set screw on the bottom side of the cover. Then you can access the 4 phillips head screws to remove the throttle assembly. There are 2 wiring harnesses that you have to disconnect (trans and throttle). Once removed, remove the 2 allen head screws that hold the black plastic cover to reveal the inner workings of the throttle assy. Remove the allen head screw in the center of the magnetic throttle pick-up/gear selector cam. Carefully remove both the throttle pickup and the cam. This will allow you to remove the circuit board (after unplugging yet another wiring harness.  Upon inspection, there was an obvious discoloration in the sealant coating indication a loose or "hot" connection. Take a soldering iron and gently remove the coating in the burned area. Be careful not to scratch the green portion of the circuit board, there's some information you'll need printed on it. During this process, the component underneath this discolored portion of sealant actually came off with the sealant never to be seen again...that sucked. Then I recognized the symbol for a diode (>I) and "D6" printed on the board. If it doesn't go flying like mine did, it should come off with a little heat from the soldering iron. It will expose 2 contacts that you'll need to clean up and solder a new diode to.  Almost any rectifier diode will do, I used a 1N4001 (you can get these at Radioshack a pack of 25 is 4$). You'll notice that one end of the new diode is banded with silver, that side needs to go in the direction the arrow was pointing on the diagram (to the right). Solder the new diode in and reapply some hotmelt (hot glue) to seal everything up, reassemble the throttle,and BOOM! you're back in business and you saved yourself $900. 

I love it when people take stuff apart to see what's going on inside!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for these posts. I just sold my 2007 and bought a 2014 LSV. (still need to change my picture.) Literally put it in the water today. It was a little fussy getting into reverse backing  off the trailer. Then it was fine until 20 minutes later it jumped out of gear. Kept doing it and then I could not start it. Fortunately I had made it to100 yards from the dock. Well, now it is on the lift and I am reading posts. So, thank you for the input. I did not want to start taking my boat apart the day I got it in the water but, well, its a boat! 

I will let you know what I find out. I am going to dig around for other posts on this. If you know of a good post feel free to point it out to me. Thanks again. 

To "oldjeep".  I have not taken a close look at this yet. Do you have to take off the side to get to the throttle? Or does that cover plate come off and the unit is accessible right there? 

Any pointers on how to get the throttle unit out? Heading out to my boat tomorrow morning. My dealer has a unit ready. No one can work on this for 2 or more weeks and I am not patient. Any pointers would be appreciated.

I have to get back to my Lemonade stand now to pay for this thing! 

I will post on my "progress"

2 hours ago, SteveB said:

To "oldjeep".  I have not taken a close look at this yet. Do you have to take off the side to get to the throttle? Or does that cover plate come off and the unit is accessible right there? 

Any pointers on how to get the throttle unit out? Heading out to my boat tomorrow morning. My dealer has a unit ready. No one can work on this for 2 or more weeks and I am not patient. Any pointers would be appreciated.

I have to get back to my Lemonade stand now to pay for this thing! 

I will post on my "progress"

To help get his attention, it's best to either quote him or tag him with an "@" and select his username when it pops up, e.g. @oldjeep.

Look for a small set screw on the bottom of the cover plate. Back that out and the cover plate comes off. Four more screws and the whole assembly slides out. Unplug connectors and you're done. This is how my Livorsi throttle on my '13 VTX came out. 

• Like 2

Thanks, yes, that was an extremely easy removal. Waiting for my new throttle to arrive in a few hours. I REALLY hope that is the issue. I appreciate the posts and support. Hopefully we will be playing on the lake all weekend. 

@lakemurrayskier, were you able to change out your throttle? I have good news. I took out the old in my boat and replaced it with a new one this weekend. It started right up and we drove around for an hour or so with no more issues. Wasn't the cheapest fix on my boat but it was certainly the easiest one I ever did. Not sure if important, but I was told to completely cut the power from all batteries while changing it over. 

I am now going to take the advice from above and bring it to my electronics guy to see if he can find what went wrong with this? I hope he can find the $.16 broken part. Apparently I will need a backup! 

@steveB

please keep us updated. We have a 2014 23lsv that was in storage all winter. IT started fine in storage 3 weeks ago. Now it won't even crank(just fuel priming sound and blower). We tried the starter relay but nothing. Voltage is fine(12.7). I think the throttle is tricking it to think its not in neutral. We are not getting any change in voltage when turning the key across the red/yellow or red starter side of the solenoid. All i can think of to rule out the starter is to jump the positive starter side of the solenoid to a battery to see if it cranks(as if the circuit was completed)....if it does i know its either the neutral  safety switch or the throttle and not a faulty ground.  If nothing happens then i can assume a bad ground or bad starter......i just would have imagined a click of some sort. With everybody saying the throttle is messing up in the 2014s I am worried we may have to change it ourselves. please help us. 

@juandownunder

My issue was a bit easier to diagnose as it started up just fine and ran great. Then, it had these issue of popping out of gear on its own...like loosing a prop. I am going out all afternoon today to really put some hours on it. All I have is about an hour of driving at this time. But, the throttle control seemed to fix my issue. It was the easiest work on any boat I have had. No harm in pulling the throttle out. I guess you can pull off the throttle to see if the plugs are loose. (doubtful) Or even dig into the throttle control to see if you can see any faults with it. If you are talented with a r and know electronics. I uploaded some pics I took during the change. A few are pics after I took apart the old control. 

20200529_111747.jpg

20200529_111955.jpg

20200529_112305.jpg

20200529_112649.jpg

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, Randy K said:

Does the diode replacement on the Livorsi work long term?  

I would use a 1N5401, but I don't see why it shouldn't last.  Of course, the prudent thing to do would be to check the current in that part and see if the original one was barely large enough, or if some other issue caused it to blow.  The photo that @SteveB posted clearly shows a hot spot in the upper left, just like @SwaggaDraggonCaptain described.

20200529_112649.thumb.jpg.e91dc79a5b3e2e

I sent my throttle back to Livorsi for repair.  They charged $150 plus shipping.  I'm not sure what all they repaired/replaced but the service receipt did mentioned diode.  Turn around time was 2-3 weeks.  Not quite the $0.16 solution mentioned above but much better than what Malibu wanted and I don't have to question my soldering skills.

Interesting. I was going to make this a winter project for me. I planned to fix my old throttle as a back up. One experience with no throttle was enough for me. I guess I am a control freak. Once I get into the electronics, I will update what I find.