Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ramp Issues-2010 F250 6.4L Diesel

mgb1974

I been having some issues with my 2010 F250 on the boat ramp. I think my posi traction is worn out/not working. Getting the 1 wheel spin in the back. Wanted to get your guys thoughts?

I bought the truck last year, it came with 35x13.50 Ridge Grapplers. Which i think is my other problem with how wide these tires are. 

I put it in 4wd high and it still struggles to get out of the slime. Front wheels are dry.  I actually had to use the boat to power up the ramp a few feet to get to dry area. Nice ramp that is paved with grooved concrete. 

Last year I had a 2002 Wakesetter and didnt have a issue with 4wd High engaged, wouldnt do 2wd. This year I have a 2010 VLX which is a decent amount heavier. 

So thinking I need to get a new Limited slip rear end like a Eaton Tru Trac. Everything I read is not to rebuild the Ford LSD. Or are the tires/wheels killing me?

21 minutes ago, mgb1974 said:

I been having some issues with my 2010 F250 on the boat ramp. I think my posi traction is worn out/not working. Getting the 1 wheel spin in the back. Wanted to get your guys thoughts?

I bought the truck last year, it came with 35x13.50 Ridge Grapplers. Which i think is my other problem with how wide these tires are. 

I put it in 4wd high and it still struggles to get out of the slime. Front wheels are dry.  I actually had to use the boat to power up the ramp a few feet to get to dry area. Nice ramp that is paved with grooved concrete. 

Last year I had a 2002 Wakesetter and didnt have a issue with 4wd High engaged, wouldnt do 2wd. This year I have a 2010 VLX which is a decent amount heavier. 

So thinking I need to get a new Limited slip rear end like a Eaton Tru Trac. Everything I read is not to rebuild the Ford LSD. Or are the tires/wheels killing me?

Must be the tires, or your ramp is just uncommonly slippery.  Doesn't a 2010 have traction control?  In any event, the old fashioned traction control is to lightly ride the brake.

Edited by oldjeep

Wide tires don't help, but there shouldn't be that big of an issue. Are the fronts spinning on dry pavement?

When was the last time the differential gear oil was changed?

Edited by Falko
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, mgb1974 said:

I actually had to use the boat to power up the ramp a few feet to get to dry area.

WOW, that sounds exiting.  Kind of like "getting the cart before the horse".

I agree with you, replace the limited slip.

When I put it in 4 WD Low and in D it just hopped in place. 4wd High would just spin. I dont feel the fronts spinning but hard to tell, the backs I can see in the mirrors. Gear oil was changed last season with Friction modifier. Might be to much but the truck also has 190K miles on it. 

Im leaning that its a combo of both tires and LSD is fried. Any body replace there LSD? From what a internet search alot of recommendations on Eaton Tru Trac. 

I have 37" Ridge Grapplers and never even need 4x4 and our ramp is extremely steep and boats in and out all day (single lane ramp) so its slick.  I'm assuming you have manual/auto hubs.  I would try manually locking them on your next trip as I had issues with ESOF (Electronic Shift on the Fly) as well as vacuum hoses to the hubs that dry-rotted.  A pin hole in the hose won't allow them to engage.  I remember thinking "I'll never own another diesel" because how bad the truck did in snow with the heavy front end but then realized that even though the knob was in 4H, it wasn't engaging.  Once I fixed those issues, truck was a beast in all situations.

If nothing else, it's a simple thing to try to start narrowing down where the issue lies.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

I have 37" Ridge Grapplers and never even need 4x4 and our ramp is extremely steep and boats in and out all day (single lane ramp) so its slick.  I'm assuming you have manual/auto hubs.  I would try manually locking them on your next trip as I had issues with ESOF (Electronic Shift on the Fly) as well as vacuum hoses to the hubs that dry-rotted.  A pin hole in the hose won't allow them to engage.  I remember thinking "I'll never own another diesel" because how bad the truck did in snow with the heavy front end but then realized that even though the knob was in 4H, it wasn't engaging.  Once I fixed those issues, truck was a beast in all situations.

If nothing else, it's a simple thing to try to start narrowing down where the issue lies.

How wide are your 37"s?

I have the same ESOF, I had to fix that when I bought the truck. 

First thing I did after spinning in place, I got out of the truck and reached behind the wheel to make sure my fronts hubs were locked. They were. 

5 minutes ago, mgb1974 said:

How wide are your 37"s?

I have the same ESOF, I had to fix that when I bought the truck. 

First thing I did after spinning in place, I got out of the truck and reached behind the wheel to make sure my fronts hubs were locked. They were. 

Mine are 12.5" wide.

Like all have said your posi is shot. My CTD pulls up my boat with lead no probs in 2wd. My posi is tight so I wouldnt expect any probs. 315  65x17 about 34.5 inches tall

I've towed our boat with three different trucks; '02 Avalanche, '07 Escalade EXT and my '18 Sierra SLT.  I keep 500lbs of lead in it 24x7, so though probably a little lighter than yours, not that much lighter.  The Escalade was AWD so I'll take that out of the equation.

Neither my Avalanche or Sierra have had a hint of wheel spin pulling the boat out of the water.  Both have G80 lockers, but you have to get one tire spinning to do that and it never happens (unless I was being stupid with the go pedal).  Avalanche did it on worn out BFG A/T's (stock 17" size); Sierra rocking 22" wheels with a 285 width stock tire.  I've pulled out of a few different ramps with these, none all that bad but doesn't sound like yours is either.  I've never once considered using 4WD.  

IMO, it is a tire issue.  

I had Nitto's on my previous truck, hands down the hardest compound tire I have ever run. (I average 2 set per year on my truck) so I have tried many different brands. They were so slick when it rained I didn't feel comfortable letting my wife drive unless it was dry roads. With traction control on and light foot it would still try to get sideways turning at intersections. If your not putting it in 4wd at the ramp, don't get out of the truck and rely on park to hold it. Almost every video you watch where they pull a truck/boat trailer out at the ramp it is dragging the back wheels. So it wasn't from being in neutral, it was slick ramp/tire problems.

13 hours ago, MLBurns said:

I had Nitto's on my previous truck, hands down the hardest compound tire I have ever run. (I average 2 set per year on my truck) so I have tried many different brands. They were so slick when it rained I didn't feel comfortable letting my wife drive unless it was dry roads. With traction control on and light foot it would still try to get sideways turning at intersections. If your not putting it in 4wd at the ramp, don't get out of the truck and rely on park to hold it. Almost every video you watch where they pull a truck/boat trailer out at the ramp it is dragging the back wheels. So it wasn't from being in neutral, it was slick ramp/tire problems.

Always wondered why they don't stop sliding when boat starts floating? At that point, there is very little extra weight pulling back on truck. 

The boat/trailer/truck has momentum going down the ramp into the water. Once the boat/trailor starts to float, it now pulls UP on the hitch, reducing traction further. The momentum, while diminishing from the drag of the water, can still pull the truck into the lake. 

If you don't have a limited slip differential (or non-functioning one) and simply put the trans in park (or in gear with a manual), you are relying the tire with the least traction to keep the truck from rolling back.  Using the parking brake too will at least hold with both rear tires.  

I have an Eaton TruTrac in my F350.  My posi was shot like yours and I found it to be the best solution, as it also is the snow vehicle. Hopefully your ESOF is working as well too.  They can develop vacuum leaks or a hose pop off.  On my 6.0, the little vacuum hose to the heater control valve popped off and caused me to lose front wheel drive. Sign of a leak will be the vacuum pump running continuously key-on-engine-off.

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:10 PM, MadMan said:

If you don't have a limited slip differential (or non-functioning one) and simply put the trans in park (or in gear with a manual), you are relying the tire with the least traction to keep the truck from rolling back.  Using the parking brake too will at least hold with both rear tires.  

Even if you have a limited slip, they only lock when torque is applied.  The only lockers that are locked at rest are manually selectable ones like an ARB or OX.  Even an Electrac isn't fully locked at rest due to the ball ramp design.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Even if you have a limited slip, they only lock when torque is applied.  The only lockers that are locked at rest are manually selectable ones like an ARB or OX.  Even an Electrac isn't fully locked at rest due to the ball ramp design.

My experience is that you don't need a locker, a functioning limited slip is all that's needed.

2 minutes ago, MadMan said:

My experience is that you don't need a locker, a functioning limited slip is all that's needed.

Even a limited slip doesn't do anything to limit slip unless there is torque applied to it.  Jack one back wheel off the ground in park and then use your hands to turn the other wheel - it'll turn.  So a limited slip in park on a ramp doesn't do any more than an open differential in park on the ramp

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Even a limited slip doesn't do anything to limit slip unless there is torque applied to it.  Jack one back wheel off the ground in park and then use your hands to turn the other wheel - it'll turn.  So a limited slip in park on a ramp doesn't do any more than an open differential in park on the ramp

I wasn't really concerned about being in park (even though on a ramp, in park, there is torque applied, it's a result of gravity), I was commenting on trying to pull the boat up the ramp.  And yes, some LSD's don't appear to function until loaded, but there are types that do.

Can you swap out your rear axle to one with the factory electric locker? My 12 f250 has the electric locker and the same ridge grapplers and so far have not had to use the locker once.  
I have never had even the slightest issue pulling my vlx out of the water. 

• 2 weeks later...

OP hasn't replied for a few weeks, so maybe it's working now, but @twitchee2 asked about the front hubs.  The front hub actuators on the mid-2000 F models were very prone to failure.  Of course, you only notice it when you *really* need 4WD.

Anyway, that's the first thing I would check.  Are you really in 4WD, or does it just say so?  Doesn't really matter if the 2010 model is a better design, the hubs can still fail.