Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LED mods - 2019 23 LSV

Is it legal to have blue lights under the trailer rail shining down on the road? Thinking about adapting some of the extra lights like 5 per side and attaching to bottom of trailer rails.

44 minutes ago, dalt1 said:

Is it legal to have blue lights under the trailer rail shining down on the road? Thinking about adapting some of the extra lights like 5 per side and attaching to bottom of trailer rails.

That is likely going to very by state but in general I believe blue lights tend to be illegal on motor vehicles (or trailers)

Edited by gregtay
1 hour ago, dalt1 said:

To save me the digging, Anyone know the TN. answer to Blue lights on bottom of trailer? Could put them on a switch and turn off when leaving Marina.

In general blue and red lights are a big no-no (for obvious reasons) when on the road. Yes, it can vary state to state, but I’d be surprised to hear it’s legal to run that way anywhere. If on a switch you should be fine as long as you remember to turn them off. FWIW, I’d be surprised if you get pulled over for the lights. If you like to drink and boat, it gives them one more reason to pull you over... 

On 6/6/2019 at 8:25 PM, dalt1 said:

How does this emblem come off to get to the red led here? It will have to be changed out to blue too!image.thumb.png.80d9469200a67d4cc3acb974e1adb48d.png

Nobody have an answer for me? I still have not found a way too get back there. May just have to find something to shove down from top and try to push it out to the side or bottom.

I gave you my response from my dealer, I didn't follow up on how they fixed it. If it's a warranty issue and you don't want to take it to your dealer, call them and ask your service guy. I suspect there isn't anyone that has tried to take their boat apart as much as it looks like it needs to fix this. I really would be surprised if there are many people that notice it. I did and you did because we are involved with LEDs on our boats. Most peobable wouldn't. Even then they would have to be out at night to notice.

On 6/22/2019 at 12:11 PM, Ronnie said:

I gave you my response from my dealer, I didn't follow up on how they fixed it. If it's a warranty issue and you don't want to take it to your dealer, call them and ask your service guy. I suspect there isn't anyone that has tried to take their boat apart as much as it looks like it needs to fix this. I really would be surprised if there are many people that notice it. I did and you did because we are involved with LEDs on our boats. Most peobable wouldn't. Even then they would have to be out at night to notice.

Thanks Ronnie, Just thought as much as the crew dig into these things, someone may have had that off. Guess not. I full agree with your statement and will ask dealer next time we talk.

On 5/28/2019 at 11:57 PM, NWBU said:

This isn't much compared to the LED work some others are doing but here's my upgrade with a few pics. This is a pretty quick and easy mod to make, with help from another crew member that had some leftover supplies. I would've done this sooner if I'd realized how easy it would be. 

Malibu's stock LED's are using 2-wire Weather-Pack connectors, which you can get on Amazon, so this was basically a plug and play deal once the new LEDs were attached to the Weather-Pack plugs. Grab some 3M doublesided waterproof mounting tape from Amazon too.

IMG_0508.thumb.jpg.8b62fd4e6fc866ff8202ea287d5caca6.jpgIMG_0509.thumb.jpg.16933cb41a4023351ec402a9d4276c77.jpg

Here’s the stock LEDs.

7A9FD427-1F73-4866-80BC-48ADEDD58D22.thumb.jpeg.d10488d89353af4ee97e82d848f21f8b.jpeg

The trickiest part was backlighting the sub, which requires removing the bow storage bin and sub cover. There's just a few screws for each one of those though. 

IMG_0339.thumb.jpg.5026e1b6d2450345ada1fc483bff69c2.jpgIMG_0473.thumb.jpg.ab39e794ddeec6fb18bcdb5b0e9db166.jpg

Strip lighting attached upside down with the double sided tape.

IMG_0507.thumb.jpg.c50aa386c6b53a05565d814e318688d3.jpg

Where did you end up sticking the strip on your sub? To the sub box front top? Got mine apart right now but wondering because yours looks evenly lit? The strip facing the rear of boat?

Just now, dalt1 said:

Thanks Ronnie, Just thought as much as the crew dig into these things, someone may have had that off. Guess not. I full agree with your statement and will ask dealer next time we talk.

YW. I don't see as many people taking these boats apart anymore to Mod them like we used to. There may be an easy way to remove that panel but I haven't found it. My dealer fixed mine, you could call them if you thought it would help. 

Waterski America ask for Ismail, he could probably help.

7 minutes ago, dalt1 said:

Where did you end up sticking the strip on your sub? To the sub box front top? Got mine apart right now but wondering because yours looks evenly lit? The strip facing the rear of boat?

I stuck it to the bottom of the floor, with the LED strip facing up. Had to clean the floor a bit first but the 3M tape seems to be holding fine.

There’s a straight horizontal bar across the sub grill. I’ve found that the best place to mount the strip. Mount it a little low so you don’t see the top of the strip. 

3 hours ago, NWBU said:

I stuck it to the bottom of the floor, with the LED strip facing up. Had to clean the floor a bit first but the 3M tape seems to be holding fine.

Thanks, I was looking at adding a lip off top front of sub and mounting to top and shine down but not quite enough room there. I will see if gap on floor is wide enough.

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

There’s a straight horizontal bar across the sub grill. I’ve found that the best place to mount the strip. Mount it a little low so you don’t see the top of the strip. 

So just shine straight back at sub?