Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Loosing Oil & White Exhaust Smoke

I own a 2003 Wakesetter XTI. At the beginning of the summer gave her an oil change. Fast forward 2 months I had to add around a quart of oil. Checked the drain hose and no oil coming from it. Also have white smoke coming from the exhaust on the first crank of the day. After that no more exhaust smoke for the rest of the day. Could these two things be related?

Boat runs great. No loss in power and no bad readings on gauges. Compression test good as well.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

43 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Typically cracked or warped cylinder head, a cracked engine block, or head gasket failure caused by overheating is white smoke.

Eagleboy I’m far from a mechanic but if the white smoke is caused by overheating I would think that I would see the smoke while running or once the engine heats up. Not on a cold start. Shouldn’t the compression test have found a cracked or warped cylinder head?

I'm with @MadMan..  Pretty sure my boat uses nearly a quart in 2 months especially if I'm in higher RPM mode like weighting it down more or running WOT a lot.

After doing some thinking, research, and talking to different folks it sounds like it could be one of the valve guide seals leaking. From my understanding once the engine cools down and sits for a period of time you can have oil drip down the stem. Which this could be the cause of the both issues of loosing oil and white smoke on cold start. Thoughts?

19 minutes ago, Ryanbradbe said:

After doing some thinking, research, and talking to different folks it sounds like it could be one of the valve guide seals leaking. From my understanding once the engine cools down and sits for a period of time you can have oil drip down the stem. Which this could be the cause of the both issues of loosing oil and white smoke on cold start. Thoughts?

Smoke from burning oil is blue.

Thanks madman. There goes that theory then! :Frustrated:

I’m going to just keep an eye on it this summer and make sure I have plenty of oil in the motor and maybe make this an off-season project to tinker with. Anyone have experience in using 20w-40? Thought this may help whatever leak I may have. I live in Alabama so I don’t think I would have a major issue from a temperature standpoint.

Might not hurt to replace the PCV valve if it's never been done. It's only a few bucks. If it's stuck open it could cause oil consumption and possibly allow water vapor from the crankcase up to the intake which then condenses overnight and is burned at startup the next day. Yeah that's a stretch I know...

Little smoke just on start up is not uncommon. Curious, do you leave it on a lift. Leakdown like you mentioned above, used to be very common, especially on the back cylinders. 

Steve B.

35 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

Little smoke just on start up is not uncommon. Curious, do you leave it on a lift. Leakdown like you mentioned above, used to be very common, especially on the back cylinders. 

Steve B.

Steve, I do leave it on a lift. The first crank of the weekend always has the most smoke after it’s been sitting all week. Last for a few seconds then it’s done.

The lifts we use tilt the boat/engine even more than it is tilted already. Oil from the valves leaks slowly down, pooling in the most bottom cylinders. Used to be on the Nautique promo program, and every one of the boats did that.

Steve B. 

Edited by Steve B.
added info
  • 2 months later...

If the compression check and oil pressure are good, and the engine is at normal temperature without overheating, I would call it good. Keep an eye on oil level. It won’t hurt anything.

When you changed the oil, how did it look? I use shell T4 15w45 in my 2015 LSV. Is your oil too thin?

6 hours ago, Ryanbradbe said:

I use shell synthetic 15w40. I have toyed with the idea of using a thicker oil.

Synthetic seems to seep through little spaces that conventional oil won't.  Have you always used synthetic?