Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 Seats defects

LucasC

ahopkins22LSV

@LucasC Do you have really hard water? Or what kind of water do you boat in? That is 10x worse than I have seen on our black - and I agree, I wouldn't be happy with that either. I'd order some boat bling cleaner and a bottle of the conditioner asap and get a coat on it to see if that helps. If you have really bad water, you might want to look into ceramic coating for the interior too.

24 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

@LucasC Do you have really hard water? Or what kind of water do you boat in? That is 10x worse than I have seen on our black - and I agree, I wouldn't be happy with that either. I'd order some boat bling cleaner and a bottle of the conditioner asap and get a coat on it to see if that helps. If you have really bad water, you might want to look into ceramic coating for the interior too.

I agree. When mine does it...it looks nothing like that. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, LucasC said:

Granted these go once dry , Just find it strange why a boat manufacturer would use a vinyl  that blotches when wet .

IMG_3219 (1).jpg

@LucasCHave you used any sealer yet. first thing I did was drown the seats in 303. You guys would cringe if you saw the grey Seadeck on my swim deck from our water.

Edited by Sparky450
2 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

We boat in the sea and the boat is a salt water package , However that water spot is from fresh water out of the hose . My dealer is out of office till next week but will ask him when he returns .

ahopkins22LSV
30 minutes ago, LucasC said:

We boat in the sea and the boat is a salt water package , However that water spot is from fresh water out of the hose . My dealer is out of office till next week but will ask him when he returns .

Interesting. Is it well water or city water? Treated with anything? I’d be curious if put some pure water on it not treated with anything if it does the same. 

4 hours ago, LucasC said:

Granted these go once dry , Just find it strange why a boat manufacturer would use a vinyl  that blotches when wet .

IMG_3219 (1).jpg

anyone do a sunscreen blotch test?

2 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

why a boat manufacturer would use a vinyl  that blotches when wet

My 99 had the same issue with the G&T vinyl - dark colours only.  New replacement vinyl does not.  :)

10 hours ago, LucasC said:

in the wetter climates they could do with some kind of water repellent treatment

Am I the only one who sees the irony in this comment?  :)

6 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

@LucasCHave you used any sealer yet. first thing I did was drown the seats in 303. You guys would cringe if you saw the grey Seadeck on my swim deck from our water.

Problem with using the 303 sealer, or similar sealer/waterproofer, is that it drastically reduces the breathability and cooling ability of these new advanced vinyls.

Why get the new cooler breathable vinyl, if you are going to immediately treat it so it can’t breath, and gets super hot like the old vinyl?

9 minutes ago, TenTwentyOne said:

Problem with using the 303 sealer, or similar sealer/waterproofer, is that it drastically reduces the breathability and cooling ability of these new advanced vinyls.

Why get the new cooler breathable vinyl, if you are going to immediately treat it so it can’t breath, and gets super hot like the old vinyl?

So I use 303. What would you recommend trying then? It doesn't seem like 303 seals it. The only color that gets hot on ours is the gray.

Edited by rsutton1223
8 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I have black vinyl and mine has never blotched like that. The water dries on the black and it leaves a water spot just like on a black car that comes right off.

19 minutes ago, TenTwentyOne said:

3 minutes ago, bbattiste247 said:

I have black vinyl and mine has never blotched like that. The water dries on the black and it leaves a water spot just like on a black car that comes right off.

Did a little test today , And basically if there's no sun or wind to dry the seat the water will slowly soak in to the vinyl .  I will wait to see what Malibu says as to a solution and report back

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TenTwentyOne said:

I asked multiple people what to use. I really don’t like the slickness of it. They all recommend 303. So what is the correct product to use? We learn new stuff everyday when we are open to new ideas. 

13 minutes ago, Sparky450 said:

I asked multiple people what to use. I really don’t like the slickness of it. They all recommend 303. So what is the correct product to use? We learn new stuff everyday when we are open to new ideas. 

And we should point out the owner's manual is sort of useless on this point.   Since no protectants are mentioned in the owner's manual, maybe I shouldn't use one at all?  

20190216_085155.thumb.jpg.c24757acbbc1989ba8b816f74677fce5.jpg

4 hours ago, rsutton1223 said:

So I use 303. What would you recommend trying then? It doesn't seem like 303 seals it. The only color that gets hot on ours is the gray.

2 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

Are you guys talking about 303 “Protectant”, or 303 “Fabric Guard/sealer”?

they are different products that are both 303 products. The Aerospace protectant is fine to use..... But the fabric guard sealer will waterproof the vinyl, and eliminate it’s breathability (which is what makes it cooler).

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

I thought I saw somewhere that 303 protectant was a Malibu recommended product. I just put in on my vinyl and it now is a non-greasy formula; it really seems to be better. I remember I used to put the greasy formula on my seats and it would end up on the surf boards making them slick.

Edited by bbattiste247

I've used 303 in the past and it was greasy and made the seats slick. I just used a new bottle of 303 marine protectant this weekend and it is not greasy at all.  It advertises a matte finish and is not at all like what I have used in the past. 

• Like 1

The post I originally quoted was related to a comment that stated to use “303 Sealant”.  That is a product that is labeled “303 Fabric Gaurd”, and is a vinyl sealer/waterproofer.

It is an entirely different product from “303 Aerospace Protectant” (which should be fine to use).

303 is not a product type, it is the name of a product line. There are several different “303” products.

303 states that once you apply it, you need to use another rag to wipe it down so its not slick. 303 is good stuff but you should always wipe it down after you apply. Too much on the seats will cause it to be slick. 

It's 100 posts ago, but to the OP - Vinyl issues aside, shame on your dealer for making you request a replacement for that shoddy piping job. They should have apologized to you upon delivery, and promised to have the replacement installed ASAP. Putting you in the position of thinking that you are being too "fussy" is just plain un-cool. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, TenTwentyOne said:

The post I originally quoted was related to a comment that stated to use “303 Sealant”.  That is a product that is labeled “303 Fabric Gaurd”, and is a vinyl sealer/waterproofer.

It is an entirely different product from “303 Aerospace Protectant” (which should be fine to use).

303 is not a product type, it is the name of a product line. There are several different “303” products.

Whew!

I probably mis-spoke when I said sealant. I have always used the 303 Aerospace Protectant, that you mention. You should see what that stuff does to the plastic, leather on a vehicle. Or even the plastic on the outside of the vehicle,  like bedrails and mirrors. Pace Edwards even sends it with there covers to wipe them down and wipe on the slides. That is the only stuff that they recommend for uv protection on the hard covers. I buy it by the gallon.

• Like 2