Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 Seats defects

LucasC

Am I been too Fussy my wake view seat  bugs me and my wife says I am  to fussy .  My dealer has said they will order a new skin.  Also when wet all my seats have white blotches ,looks terrible , Has anyone else experienced this  ?  this new material is not great.

IMG_3215.jpg

It would bother me.  Enough to have it replaced, probably not but I'd at least document it and send to dealer.  Since you have already initiated that conversation, let the dealer order a new skin and put it away in the event you have an issue.  Never hurts to have a backup.

8 minutes ago, LucasC said:

Am I been too Fussy my wake view seat  bugs me and my wife says I am  to fussy .  My dealer has said they will order a new skin.  Also when wet all my seats have white blotches ,looks terrible , Has anyone else experienced this  ?  this new material is not great.

IMG_3215.jpg

The new material seems to be a bit porous and traps moisture. Seems like a very strange that they would use a material like this in a boat but I guess time will tell.  

My new vinyl gets water spots.  I wish I had ordered white.  My last boat had white and showed every little spec of dirt, so I went with the next lightest color, which I think is light graphite, but that is too dark, and shows water spots as good or better than dark gelcoat.  I do wish they had a color between light graphite and white that I could have chosen.  If they do, I missed it.  

I posted my 2019 23 LSV first impressions and one of my issues is the new vinyl.  The darker colors get really blotchy and can even have water spots.  Dries fine and cleans up easy but not a fan.   Also, I had someone pull a wakeboard across a black section and the fin made a line that won't go away.  

I'd order the vinyl from my 2018 if I had a choice .. all day long.

And this seems pretty lame to have the stitching run into the piping.  It is not a big deal, but just gives me a feel it is sloppy.  

20190510_201156.thumb.jpg.159dd26061bf5810ac86850e3ccb2055.jpg

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, tbullard said:

That mxz is the one they built off production and way early before any of the 2019’s were announced as it was the photo boat. It also traveled thousands of miles and hours cross country and had thousands of people in and out of it. I wouldn’t take that as the norm.

That said I do agree with the OP’s dealer to order a new skin for that. I’d ask the same so I don’t think you are being too picky. 

The spots on the seats I noticed too as our interior is all black and graphite. However, they go away right away in the sun. I’ll take that all day everyday as I feel the new vinyl is much more comfy, feels higher end, and is way easier to clean. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

That mxz is the one they built off production and way early before any of the 2019’s were announced as it was the photo boat. It also traveled thousands of miles and hours cross country and had thousands of people in and out of it. I wouldn’t take that as the norm.

That said I do agree with the OP’s dealer to order a new skin for that. I’d ask the same so I don’t think you are being too picky. 

The spots on the seats I noticed too as our interior is all black and graphite. However, they go away right away in the sun. I’ll take that all day everyday as I feel the new vinyl is much more comfy, feels higher end, and is way easier to clean. 

Only 7 hrs . on my seat ,  we dont get loads of sun in England so my seats dont look the best when wet , Will be asking if we can treat them with some water repellent as they seem very porous , I Dont see this material passing the test of Time . My friend has a 2018  ,I would swap for that vinyle any day 

ahopkins22LSV
49 minutes ago, LucasC said:

Only 7 hrs . on my seat ,  we dont get loads of sun in England so my seats dont look the best when wet , Will be asking if we can treat them with some water repellent as they seem very porous , I Dont see this material passing the test of Time . My friend has a 2018  ,I would swap for that vinyle any day 

I understand your boat is new. I was responding to the other example that was linked in another thread with the comment of “seems to be the norm”. Then I agreed with you that you should let your dealer order a new skin. Two examples do not make it the norm or anywhere near close to it. 

There are lots of seat conditioners out there. I use boat bling cleaner and conditioner. Maybe it’s helping, I’ve never not used it though. 

3 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

None of that matters - that piping looks terrible!  The number of people, hours or miles have no bearing on this particular flaw, and on their show boat no less.  Sloppy!  And the thread line right through the piping in the other picture - ugh.

I love my Malibu but there is no doubt the QC from the factory is not where it should be at this price point.  The more boats they churn out the lower the bar gets for craftsmanship.  Yes it’s minor, but the price tag is not so there should be no reason to just accept it (not that you are suggesting that 😀)

Edited by Leftlane
  • Like 2

I wonder how the latest crop of sewing compares to Gabe's reupholstery?  I recently had the rear sun pad redone on my 99 and it is amazing the quality of the job.  Even the colours are so well matched you would be hard pressed to distinguish new from old.  Frankly if I got a 150K boat with poor workmanship like that I would refuse to accept it.

ahopkins22LSV
15 minutes ago, Leftlane said:

None of that matters - that piping looks terrible!  The number of people, hours or miles have no bearing on this particular flaw, and on their show boat no less.  Sloppy!  And the thread line right through the piping in the other picture - ugh.

I love my Malibu but there is no doubt the QC from the factory is not where it should be at this price point.  The more boats they churn out the lower the bar gets for craftsmanship.  Yes it’s minor, but the price tag is not so there should be no reason to just accept it (not that you are suggesting that 😀)

Like I said, I agree. And I’d be asking for a new skin too. I only made the comment because the post that was made in reference to it being “the norm”. Agree with it or not what that boat went through is not the norm nor is having two examples. 

17 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Like I said, I agree. And I’d be asking for a new skin too. I only made the comment because the post that was made in reference to it being “the norm”. Agree with it or not what that boat went through is not the norm nor is having two examples. 

3 examples ;) LucasC, TallRedRider, and the demo boat.

37 minutes ago, Leftlane said:

But this is perfectly normal, right @ahopkinsVTX?

I have the new vinyl and the majority of it is vapor blue. I have only noticed white blotches when the water stayed on the vinyl overnight. I really like the vinyl and if it were any different, my color combo would not look good. I have vapor blue, graphite and black and it looks awesome. We live in Las Vegas with 100 degree temps and so far, no problems with hot seats, even on the black.

• Like 3

I have the new vinyl and I like it. It has a silky smooth feel. Coming from the old vinyl (lots of texture) it took some getting used to. But I’m a fan now. Super easy to wipe down. We use Vinyl Sauce each time we wipe the boat down. I don’t have any wavy lines or obvious flaws. I also love all the new colors available. I suspect this was the reason for the change. But I could be wrong. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

I now have 65+hrs on my 2019. I will say. I am not the norm. I use my boat. If it gets dirty,, SO WHAT. It cleans very easy. I had an 83 old man jump in my boat with his shoes on, in my shop. You know what, those dirty tennis shoe prints wiped right off. I don’t stress about the little crap. The white water blotches go away pretty quick. We have 4-5 people complaing on here and it’s the end of the world. Talk to your dealer. I am sure it will be taken care of. How many 19’s are out there folks. And we have 4-5 people on here complaing. I know I am not perfect. I don’t expect anybody else to be. I think you all need to spend less time worrying about the little stuff and get out on the water and enjoy the boat. It will give us all less time to complain. And guess what. I already have a scratch in mine. A BIG ONE. But, I have a repair kit in hand all ready and it will buff right out. GET OVER IT ALREADY! And enjoy the darn thing. 

RANT OVER!!!

Let’s go ride🏄‍♂️🏄‍♂️

I only wish we got the weather to put lots of hours on our boat . And if nobody had ever complained about the quality of there boat I dread to think what would be coming out of the factory today . 

By Complaining and discussing  the problems with my seats I have learned that the 2019 seats are great in warmer climates but in the wetter climates they could do with some kind of water repellent treatment.

ahopkins22LSV
7 hours ago, onewake09 said:

But this is perfectly normal, right @ahopkinsVTX?

I have never said that. I told the OP to continue to pursue the replacement skin! I have never said people should just accept something they aren’t happy with. I only try to explain how it could have happened and the background of the process. If you are going to take a handful examples and call it the norm then ok, that’s your opinion. I 100% understand the frustration of buying a boat this expensive and having some issues. My first new, off the showroom floor, with 1.7 hours on it, Response locked up the transmission. Had to be towed in. Then at 55 hours the engine seized and trans again. Dealer had done all of the maintenance and oil changes. I was hot. Even came on here guns blazing. Got me no where. People here were told me to continue working with the dealer, take a few breathes and not going in guns blazing. Couldn’t have had better advice because we were able to work out a great plan after that. It’s the same mindset I’ve going forward now with the next two boats we’ve owned. So trust me I get the frustration, and I agree everything should ship with zero defects. Does that happen, anywhere? So when something minor comes up maybe just take a deep breath and work it out with your dealer. 

• Like 2

No issues with ours but the dark grey does get really hot. We end up just putting a towel over the parts in the bow. I like the soft feel of the new vinyl though. It feels more "high end" than previous models. I sat in a Centurion when we were shopping for our '19 and I didn't like the heavy textured vinyl. It ended up looking really busy inside the boat. That was more extreme than previous Malibu vinyls.

The dark blue used to get the spots but the problem seems to have gotten a lot better. Maybe it just gets better as they break in and see some sun?

57336104_10109804832708500_3233044981480

Edited by rsutton1223
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, LucasC said:

IMG_3215.jpg

Granted these go once dry , Just find it strange why a boat manufacturer would use a vinyl  that blotches when wet .

IMG_3219 (1).jpg

• Sad 1