Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop Advice - 2013 247 LSV w/ 409

amartin

I am looking for some prop advice from the experts!  I dinged a few blades on my prop this weekend and need to buy a spare / alternate prop anyway.  The prop still spins pretty freely by hand, so I am feeling lucky that I didn't do any major damage to the underwater gear. 

The boat is relativley new to me, but the paperwork that I have says "High Altitude V-drive Prop 14.25 x 14.25".  I haven't removed the prop yet, as the boat is on my lift and I would prefer to remove / replace in one shot.  It is tough to make out the markings due to the nut still being in place, but it looks list the prop says OJ 14.25 x 14, which corresponds to the OJ website for the 466 prop.  The OJ 466 prop appears to be discontinued.

Out lake is 130' above sea level, so no high altitude issues.  We don't currently have anything more than stock ballast.  Biggest crew we have had so far is 12, but 1/2 of those are kids under 10, so they don't weigh much!  I am not really interested in top end speed, but we do have to run about 2 miles for smooth water and 3 miles (in the other direction of course!) for gas.  I only have put about 12 hours on the boat, but so far don't have any real complaints about the prop, but I also don't have any good reference point, as my last Malibu was a 2001 Sunsetter LX, so a whole different animal.

Any suggestions for an alternate prop would be appreciated.

I have the 409 on my MXZ at a similar elevation.  We use the Acme 2419 (15x12 stock "torque prop") but use 550 plug in plays in the back.  It does everything we want loaded and unloaded.  I can go 35-40 with it.

I bought an Acme 2249 a few years ago to try something less aggressive but haven't put it on yet.

I'd recommend a 15" prop.

Edited by hunter77ah
Added recommendation and prop size.
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Just wanted to add some information to this post in case others are looking for info.

I ended up buying a Acme 2277 (15 x 15.75).  This prop has been great for everything that we do and made long runs across the lake much more enjoyable, as it felt like the boat had a "second gear" vs the original prop (14.25 x 14).  Everything was great until we added PnP bags to the rear lockers.  Boat definitely struggles with the new prop with 750's in the lockers (probably aren't 100% full due to shape, but still alot of weight) and just 3 ppl on board.  I haven't put the old prop back on yet, but I am sure it will make a huge difference.  Going to add some more people today so I will have some movable ballast to get into the bow to see if that help.

1 hour ago, amartin said:

Just wanted to add some information to this post in case others are looking for info.

I ended up buying a Acme 2277 (15 x 15.75).  This prop has been great for everything that we do and made long runs across the lake much more enjoyable, as it felt like the boat had a "second gear" vs the original prop (14.25 x 14).  Everything was great until we added PnP bags to the rear lockers.  Boat definitely struggles with the new prop with 750's in the lockers (probably aren't 100% full due to shape, but still alot of weight) and just 3 ppl on board.  I haven't put the old prop back on yet, but I am sure it will make a huge difference.  Going to add some more people today so I will have some movable ballast to get into the bow to see if that help.

too tall for that weight with a 1.5:1 trans.  You definitely want a 2249.  You original prop is too small (diameter).  You need a 15" prop but shorter than your 2277.