Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

swim platform trap door retrofit?

GoldNugget

I have a '99 sunsetter lxi with a manual wedge, but no trap door on the swim platform (teak) which makes it a pain to put up and down. Any advice on trying to DIY one on the existing platform? I assume you would have to somehow reinforce the boards that you cut. Alternatively, any suggestions on where to buy a new platform that would fit a '99 sunsetter lxi with a trap door would be helpful. 

It's been done before.  Shouldn't be too hard if you had pictures of one.  Stainless Steel latch from Bakes or similar and a SS hinge.  Yes you will need to reinforce on either side of where you cut the door and the door itself.  Couple pieces of Teak is what they used from the factory.

Here is the latch.  https://www.bakesonline.com/swim-step-latch-for-wedge-trap-door.html

These are the only pictures I currently have.  

IMG_2956.PNG.62f11697194934b7a8cdb0c46e571f7e.PNG

IMG_2657.JPG.0a5ee4940e9d6a9262892293b50993cd.JPG

IMG_2658.JPG.ef8752b29706d0281f4baf238aebe4e8.JPG

Edited by blk93jeepzj
pic
5 hours ago, GoldNugget said:

I have a '99 sunsetter lxi with a manual wedge, but no trap door on the swim platform (teak) which makes it a pain to put up and down. Any advice on trying to DIY one on the existing platform? I assume you would have to somehow reinforce the boards that you cut. Alternatively, any suggestions on where to buy a new platform that would fit a '99 sunsetter lxi with a trap door would be helpful. 

I have the same boat with a trap door. The first few years we tried the wedge, I found the wedge door more trouble than jumping in to release the pins.  For the last few years the wedge has been on a shelf in the garage.

5 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

I use my wedge door a lot, I think it's nice to have especially if you are doing dock starts in cold weather.

Or if you are the driver / wedge operator and don't want to have to jump in the early spring water.

• Like 1