Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Low Voltage Reading on Maliview

I have a 2009 Wakesetter LSV. I have had a constant voltage issue that the Maliview system sees compared to what the other battery operated components in the boat see. Maliview shows .8 to 1 Volt lower than any other place I have checked in the boat. I have checked the pins going right in the viper unit and they show the same voltage on the batteries but Maliview still shows .8  to 1 volt lower. 

When the stereo is pulling the most current it will drop the voltage and I get the "Low Voltage Alarm". I think I would be fine if the boat was seeing the 13.8 to 14.3 volts my stereo and other components see. 

Is there someplace else I could check voltage to see what is being sent to the computer? 

Edited by Mazeing5
  • 1 month later...

I have a 2010 LSV and have the exact same issue.  I get 12.6V pretty much every where I check including the voltage at the back of the key.  When I turn to accessory the voltage stays the same.  When I turn the key on and not start the boat the voltage might drop from 12.6V to 12.5V everywhere except the back of the key.  At that point the voltage there is about 1V lower than everywhere else and the voltage gage also reads the same as the back of the key being about 1V lower than  everywhere else.  Can the ignition switch go bad? 

I then often get the low voltage warning if I have all the pumps on and the stereo with the engine running.  Very annoying.

Open for pointers on the next step.

I ran a new 0 gauge wire from my alternator to the starter on the positive wire.  I also upgraded to all 0 gauge wire on all my battery to Perko Switch connections and so far my voltage is now reading at 13.9 to 14.4. I have never seen that high of voltage on the Maliview. 

Thanks for the update.  Do you have 2 batteries with the 1, 2, 1+2, off switch? 

Did you leave the same negative wires from the battery?

Was the alternator wire already a 0 gauge wire or did you upgrade that wire size also?

Thanks!

I have 3 batteries with the 1, 2 1+2, off switch. Position 2 goes to two group 29's in parallel and 1 goes to a single group 29.  I have tested it on both positions 1 and 2 and my voltage is 14v on both on the Maliview.  I left the original wire that runs about 5 feet from the alternator to the starter (8 gauge)  I just added a 0 gauge for power 5 feet from alt to the starter. Be careful when you when messing with the starter post it is copper and tapered and easy to damage the threads. The wire from the starter to the batteries is 2 gauge. I left that.

On the battery connections, I left the 2 gauge original wire running from the starter to the switch and the 2 gauge wire running over to the driver side that powers everything there. I replaced power and ground on everything going from the batteries to the switch as well as my amp wall. They were 2 gauge and now it is all 0.

Years ago I had to crimp on a new fitting for the orange alternator wire because it broke off due to corrosion so it is possible that whole wire was bad and not conducting well. 

If none of this makes since PM me and we can talk on the phone if you want. I know this issue frustrated me until I got it fixed. 

• 1 year later...

Having a very similar problem where when the boat is off, but the key is in ACC, it starts at 12.2 (I trickle charge every night), yet the battery shows 12.6.  I run the radio for 5 minutes and the battery still shows 12.6 but the dash shows 11.5 and the threshold alarm goes off.  I then keep running the radio for 20 minutes and the battery shows 12.4 while the dash bounces between 11.4 and .4 with alarms going off to 11.7.  So it actually goes up and down during that time.  The engine is not started and the trickle charge is unplugged.  Making me thing the connection is changing as I sit (docked on my lift).  After 20 minutes it still starts right up.

So I'm interested if anyone besides Mazing5 tried this and had success?

I tried the 0 gage wire from the alternator to the starter and still have the same issue. I get full voltage at the two main wires from the battery compartment into the fuse panel under the helm but when the key is turned on I get around 1v less on the Maliview screen and often get the low voltage alarm. I did not change all the leads from the batteries to the switch since I was reading full voltage going into the fuse panel. It appears to be somewhere between the fuse panel and the Maliview screen. I checked all the connections I could reach and had no corrosion or loose connectors. Would like to check all the connections going into the Maliview screen but not sure how to access them. 
still searching for a solution. 

• 1 year later...

Hate to say I am back on this same issue. The problem came back at the end on the summer of 2021. Rewiring the boat and having 3 batteries did mask the problem enough for a while to keep the alarm from going off.  I now have added a higher amperage alternator to see If that would help. It didn’t help anything but when you are past idle. I still get the alarm idling.  The Maliviue always reads 1 Volt lower than the actual Battery. I have tried everything I can think of besides the Viper module. Mine is Module 1539-10267-01 REV 11. I see many types online but I never can find that one. Has anyone replaced the Viper module and it fixed this voltage issue? 

• 3 months later...

Just an update if anyone is still fighting this issue... The Malivue finally started rebooting when I would hit large waves. I found out that the plug on the back of the 4-button code ignition was causing the issue. I put some dielectric grease on it and it has been running fine for the last few months without issue. The Malivue is now the same or within .3 volts of the real voltage.

• Like 1
On 8/1/2022 at 8:49 PM, Mazeing5 said:

Just an update if anyone is still fighting this issue... The Malivue finally started rebooting when I would hit large waves. I found out that the plug on the back of the 4-button code ignition was causing the issue. I put some dielectric grease on it and it has been running fine for the last few months without issue. The Malivue is now the same or within .3 volts of the real voltage.

Hey bud! I am having issues with my maliview, the screen was flashing to blue, then it went solid blue, now it is blank with a white bar across it. Some light taps on the screen/dash would make the screen come in and out, but inevitably it ended up black with a white bar across vertically. 

anyways, enough about my problem. 

I am going to check connection points and was wondering if you can send an image/location of the one you mentioned. 

thanks!

Having same issue on my 2015 23 LSV.. and it is causing things to be turned on/off randomly (I am assuming this is low voltage problem as i've heard these boats are very sensitive to voltage). 

What is the purpose of the dielectric grease?  To seal from the elements?  

Also - what would be the equivalent plug on my 2015?  The plug to the 6.5" screen?  Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

I’m trying to solve the same issue on my 2009. Voltage on dash reads at least 1 volt lower than everywhere else on the electrical system. Triggers the low voltage alarm all the time while idling. Debating whether or not to bypass the keypad and install a traditional key. How and where did you install di-electric grease?

Okay update. I found a butt connector under the dash that, when wiggled, caused the voltage to jump around on the gauges. I removed the connector and replaced it, ensuring a solid crimp. Voltage on the dash now reads 12.3!! Hope this helps someone

• 2 weeks later...

I removed my dash and checked all connections and plugs I could get my hands on and still have a low voltage alarm. mostly at idle about every 10-15 minutes. Normal voltage at battaries.

9 hours ago, windy1 said:

I removed my dash and checked all connections and plugs I could get my hands on and still have a low voltage alarm. mostly at idle about every 10-15 minutes. Normal voltage at battaries.

Plus the busbars and everything from underneath?  It is also a good idea to clean/tighten the engine ground lugs and the positive lugs on the starter and alternator.  Something is still cruddy (unless your alternator is bad).

Yes, I need to check stuff back by the motor. I removed and had the alternator tested so I know it's good and tight. Battaries also tested good and I am getting consistant 14 volts at the battaries.

• 5 weeks later...

Here is a very basic instruction from Indmar on how to test for voltage drop on the starter circuit while cranking.  This type of technique can be used to identify voltage drop in any circuit.  Idenify the source voltage and test it at different points to locate where the drop occurs. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.m2omarine.com/fckimages/pdf/ENGINE/11.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiCrKeh4bP7AhXMIEQIHbokAbsQFnoECBUQAQ&usg=AOvVaw12qqx3lEvOIi8d5pt-eCeO

59 minutes ago, csleaver said:

Here is a very basic instruction from Indmar on how to test for voltage drop on the starter circuit while cranking.  This type of technique can be used to identify voltage drop in any circuit.  Idenify the source voltage and test it at different points to locate where the drop occurs. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.m2omarine.com/fckimages/pdf/ENGINE/11.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiCrKeh4bP7AhXMIEQIHbokAbsQFnoECBUQAQ&usg=AOvVaw12qqx3lEvOIi8d5pt-eCeO

Sadly, most people are either in a hurry or too untrained to follow through with all of the measurements shown in that excellent guide. 

A few years ago, one of the recent hires where I worked had a piece of equipment that would not turn on.  I watched him remove the fuse holder cap and visually inspect the fuse, then put it back and continue to fiddle with cords, switches, etc.  After a while he was getting frustrated with it, so I grabbed a meter, pulled the fuse out, and tested it for continuity.  Open.  It looked perfectly good through the glass.  I handed it to him and reminded him that simple inspection is sometimes good enough (is it plugged in?), but after that you have to take other steps to prove to yourself what you know and don't know.

@windy1, you are the one who should come back here with new info... what have you done since your last post?

I'm affraid I fall into the untrained side. So far I have tested the alternator and checked all connections. removed the dash and checked all connections and grounds behind and under the dash that I could get my hands on and tested voltage at the battaries under load and idle. Voltage at battaries is consistant 14v but dash gages drop below 11.5 setting off the alarm. Sounds like I need to trace the voltage from the batteries to the dash to see if I find a voltage drop.

• 7 months later...

Bumping this just to see if there have been any updates from anyone on this issue?  I replaced my screen (for other reasons) and thought it would solve this issue too, but it still persists.  I talked with the tech on the phone and based on my symptoms, they thought the batteries were not holding a charge anymore and we should replace.  Batteries have about 12.1v with boat off.  I've read this should be closer to 12.6v, but I checked my car and it also had 12.1. 

Before spending $800 on new batteries, just thought I'd check in and see if there was something else that could be the culprit. 

Thanks.