Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Quick Ballast Fill and Drain

Mattyb

Brand new 23lsv and am wondering if there is an “ideal” speed to fill the ballast tanks?

Also is there a quick way to totally drain the tanks when on the trailer?  A buddy’s Centuion can dump its ballast in about a minute on the trailer from 2 big drains. 

Thanks!

Entirely different setups each with their own pros and cons. For your boat, I would suggest draining all as you head back to launch ramp and not retrieve boat on trailer will ballast full. Pulling the centurion out of the water with full ballast in order to watch it dump in a mater of seconds, is a novelty and serves no real purpose. 

The Centurion can only fill will at no greater then idle speed and you have to remember to close the gates before taking off. Boat has to be on plane to drain, and again, you have to remember to close the gates before slowing down. 

While slower, the aerator pumps on your boat, give you a little more flexibility. 

• Like 2

Thanks for spelling it out, helpful to understand. So, just so I am clear, it doesn’t matter if I am sitting still vs. moving forward in terms of the time it takes to fill my tanks correct?

IMO, in theory, they would fill faster while sitting still. You wont have the Bernoulli effect which would try to "suck" the water out of the tanks/pnp you are trying to fill. If it is faster, it is prolly not by much. Also I have a Centurion, and the ramfill fills fast, empties fast, going about 12 to 15 mph. The pnp is just like everybody's pnp. We usually fill ramfill and then wait for the pnp to catch up. Takes time. As @MLA says, dumping ramfill when on the trailor is stupid. I have never and will never do that. Under normal operation, the valves are shut unless ramfill is activated.