Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

temp vinyl repair?

So, it is raining again - decided that today would be a good day to get the boat all cleaned up and vinyl protected.  I've got an issue that started a couple years ago that is getting to the point that I'm going to need to replace the seat cushion vinyl.  My seats have sections of this plasticky bumpy grid type material that has been cracking and shrinking.  I've seen reports of lots of problems with this material.  In any event it has gotten to the point that I need to take some sort of temporary measure so that it doesn't fall apart this season and I'll get some replacements on order with a different material in that section.

So - any ideas on how to hold this stuff together?  I'm concerned that vinyl tape might create a gooey mess, and vinyl patch solution could cause worse rubbing/rather than sliding.

This is what I'm dealing with.  It is around the back sides of all my cushions - the 3 in the back are the worst.

IMAG1173.jpg

Not sure how well it will last, but I might try hand stitching/suturing with very heavy thread and covering with some sail tape.

Wont’t be attractive but I’d personally rather it hold than look great

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 6/15/2021 at 8:28 AM, oldjeep said:

Follow up on this.  Those patches have worked well over the last couple of years, without creating a sticky mess.

Do you have any pictures? What is your opinion on the appearance? I have my first tear in my 2006 v ride. 

Edited by RebesMalibu
1 hour ago, RebesMalibu said:

Do you have any pictures? What is your opinion on the appearance? I have my first tear in my 2006 v ride. 

Don't have any pictures.  It looked fine for as long as I had it.  The rot of the grid type vinyl got worse over time and last year I reupholstered all the seats to get rid of it.