Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2010 LSV FAE Install

Ryan1776

Hey guys happy Memorial Weekend!

Looked at my kit for the install tonight. Pretty darn straight forward except two questions. 

1. The exhaust outlet from the transom has an angle to it and it's very easy to tell which way it's supposed to go, however, you can only get 3 of the 4 screws back into the transom. Is that normal? 
    I'm assuming this is completely fine as it will be supported on the cross mount for the exhaust pipe itself. Just wanted to check. 
  2. Two different lengths of rubber hose. After placing all the parts together and doing a "dry run" it appears as though the longer rubber hose should connect the transom outlet to the intermediate pipe and the short piece would connect from the intermediate pipe to the main exhaust assembly. Correct? 

Thanks everyone! 

Ryan 

Well. No answers. That's fine. Here's what I did. 

1-I took the screw that couldn't hold the exhaust coupler put some silicone on it and drove it back into the hole. 

2-I used the long hoses from the coupler to the intermediate pipe. Then the shorts to the actual exhaust itself. 

It's still attached! So can't be too wrong. 

Edited by Ryan1776
  • Like 1

Thought the holes lined up as they did on mine when I installed the kit a few years back. Apart from when I broke a screw in the transom & had to drill another alongside.

Would not be worried about only havng 3 screws as the original flapper mounts wil still be sealed to the transom so no water will get inside the hull.

All this may allow is some exhaust gas to escape where the screw is missing, it is underwater so no real concern

Do you have the floating wedge or power wedge?

Hoses sound correct. Mine came assembled wioth the short hoses to the T downpipe connected each side to the elbows leaving the 2 longer length from the elbows to the transom.

You wil love the stereo upgrage with the drone gone

On 5/30/2019 at 6:11 AM, Andrew63 said:

thought the holes lined up as they did on mine when I installed the kit a few years back.

Oh they line up, but you can't get a screw driver in there. The pinch point from the now angle of the new outlet and the extension from the existing transom mount make "impossible" to get a screwdriver on it. :dontknow:

Would not be worried about only having 3 screws as the original flapper mounts will still be sealed to the transom so no water will get inside the hull.

My thoughts exactly, not to mention it's not really the main source of load bearing either. 

power wedge?

Power. 

Hoses sound correct. Mine came assembled wioth the short hoses to the T downpipe connected each side to the elbows leaving the 2 longer length from the elbows to the transom.

Outstanding. 

You wil love the stereo upgrage with the drone gone

HAHAH! No doubt! I've also swapped the towers from the stock-o to the Wetsounds horn driver direct replacement 6x9

10 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Maybe try this for the fourth screw: 105 Degree Multifunction Right Steel Angle Driver Angle Extension Power Screwdriver Drill with 1/4inch Drive 6mm Hex Quick Change Magnetic Drill Bit Angled Bit Power Drill Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FBYCX7M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_fCt8CbBJ9CRP8

Wanna know something funny?! I actually JUST ordered that for a different project, and completely forgot about it when doing this. :oops: Rook.

But, I'm not sure it would fit in there either. I'm pulling the boat out in a week to go to a different lake. I'll look at it then. 

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, Ryan1776 said:

Wanna know something funny?! I actually JUST ordered that for a different project, and completely forgot about it when doing this. :oops: Rook.

But, I'm not sure it would fit in there either. I'm pulling the boat out in a week to go to a different lake. I'll look at it then. 

Phillips tip and a 1/4” box ratchet. 

8A5B0A60-FEB6-4664-8705-BEA41D1393F7.thumb.png.445bd4a29680b81310855bc44c01beb1.png

Edited by Sparky450
  • Like 1

That ratcheting screw driver set would have came in handy when replacing my Starboard rear ballast drain plug last weekend.  They should make the employees that install these at the factory remove and replace them on a fully assembled boat and then they will pay attention to rotating the pump about 20 degrees when they install pumps so the screw holding the ring on the pump cartridge is not close to impossible to take out and put back in when replacing a pump cartridge. 

How do you like the FAE exhaust?  I am considering that on mine to reduce the noise both inside the boat and at wakeboard speeds.  I also slalom quite a bit on mine so wondering if is messes with the wake at 32 - 34 mph.

Thanks,

Kris

4 minutes ago, BSUBU_Kris said:

How do you like the FAE exhaust?  I am considering that on mine to reduce the noise both inside the boat and at wakeboard speeds.  I also slalom quite a bit on mine so wondering if is messes with the wake at 32 - 34 mph.

Thanks,

Kris

Haven't had it long. But I built one on my Supra Comp and it was absolutely 100% worth it. Night and Day for sound. Didn't notice any difference on wake at all, at any speed. 
Same goes for the Malibu thus far. I got it simply just to quiet it down. Can barely even tell an increase of spray. 

2 minutes ago, BSUBU_Kris said:

Thanks, you likely just cost me $500.

Ha ha.

Kris

Don't worry, you'll pass it on to someone else. :yes:
I'm actually changing my prop too, I had a whole spreadsheet ready for pre-post difference to post for people to have scientific information. 
dB readings, time to plane, top end etc. 
But Winter never really let go here in Michigan. It'll be 80 today, but 70 tomorrow and 60 for the next 5 days. I said f it and just installed it and not going to mess around. Ah well.