Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2012 Sunscape 21LSV: Must Have Battery #2 to Start!

Here's a Fun Fact - If you want to start your 2012 Malibu (and probably other years), and you only have a single battery, you need to install it in Slot #2; installing it in Slot #1 powers up everything, including the touch screen, but the key or the touch screen engine start button do Absolutely Nothing.

My problem was, I just got a replacement Malibu Touch Command screen - yes I was one of the lucky winners that had their touch screen delaminate due to a design flaw that typically showed up right after the warranty expired, and Malibu was happy to charge me $1600 for a replacement touch screen from Meridian - no other option to operate any electrical functions on the boat other than the emergency key start and the horn.  Am I bitter - Hell Yes!  I suspect this part cost them about $500, and given the price of these boats, it's an outrage they're not willing to at least share in the cost of fixing their design flaw, let alone making a profit on it. 

So I received my replacement screen, but I only had a single battery with me to give it a try as I was getting the boat ready for the summer.  I naively installed the battery in Slot #1, and put the selector in position #1 - my normal procedure is to have my StartUp battery in Slot #1, and my Deep Cycle battery in Slot #2.  Start up on #1, drive on #1 & #2, operate while floating on #2.  As stated above, everything powered up just fine, and everything on the touch screen worked perfectly - except Start Engine.  I tried the Emergency Key Start, but it did nothing as well.  I started troubleshooting with the excellent Malibu Crew Start Up guide, and so I checked into things like the engine master breaker, and other starter-related things, and making sure I had the battery fully charged.  Not having the second battery with me, I figured I'd at least swap the one I have to Slot #2, put the switch on #2 and IT WORKED!.  

Maybe that's been pointed out elsewhere on the board here, but I sure didn't run across it as I was searching the history looking for something to try.  Anyway, I hope this helps someone down the road.  It would be a good addition to the posted Start Up Troubleshooting guide.

And it would be HUGE if anyone has an Electrical Wiring Diagram that explains how this works - possibly a missing ground relating to the starter if battery #2 isn't installed?  Why they won't publish a Wiring Diagram for the owner is beyond me!

Happy Boating,

Dave

Edited by djp53
needed additional detail for clarity