Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transmission control cable troubleshooting

Hi all,

I have a 2001 Escape Wakesetter with Monsoon 325, ZF Hurth transmission and Walter V Drive. I rebuilt all 3 and re-installed into the boat, and have had trouble getting the control cable to the transmission quite right. I cleaned up the Morse control and replaced the control cable, and have found the “sweet spot” where the cable will shift the transmission into forward/reverse before RPMs get too high - but my impression is that the transmission should be fully engaged before the RPMs increase at all - is that a true assumption?

Does anyone have tips for adjusting the control cable set up to more fully engage the transmission earlier? I was considering adding another hole into the transmission lever to reduce the stroke.

Thanks,

Will

There are adjusters on both ends of the cable for this. Did you replace the pins on the shift and throttle cables where they attach to the control? If so, try spinning the pin a few more turns down the shift cable. Just remember that the earlier you make it engage fwd, the more throw you're going to have going into reverse. 

You put the cable on the trans end back in the same hole, right? On mine there is an upper and lower hole. That makes a difference. 

Hey guys,

Thanks for your responses. I did replace the connectors at the control end - they looked a lot like those in your pictures, formulaben.

We were out for the day again, and the entire time I would have to feather into forward or reverse to prevent revs going too high before the hydraulic pump in the trans kicked in. I’m used to the shift into gear being pretty instantaneous, but I can hear my setup whining as the pump starts and clutches catch, it sounds slow; almost as if the control cable is only JUST barely opening the valve in the transmission for fluid to flow. 

When it was slightly off from “just right” yesterday, a friend manually shifted for me and there were no issues. 

formulaben

IIRC there are 2 holes for the trans cable...one is staggered and farther out on the control arm, giving it slightly more throw.  Is there a chance you installed it onto the wrong one?

I am fairly certain it is installed in the lower hole. This has been an issue since I’ve owned the boat and I recall it won’t engage at all if installed in the top hole. 

Does your transmission engage fully before your observe any RPM increase?

54 minutes ago, notaloser said:

I am fairly certain it is installed in the lower hole. This has been an issue since I’ve owned the boat and I recall it won’t engage at all if installed in the top hole. 

Does your transmission engage fully before your observe any RPM increase?

Yes, because when I replaced the cables I configured them that way. My Morse MV3 seems to have a little slop in it so the throw to reverse is a bit longer than I would prefer but still it's not revving before going into gear. 

I'd suggest a two man job on your boat. Have one person work the throttle while you closely watch the linkages on the engine. Adjust your cables so that the throttle starts moving once the trans is engaged. 

That has been the approach thus far - I was hoping I had missed something obvious but it sounds like it just needs a very meticulous adjustment.

I revisited a very helpful video I watched in the past and am wondering if my Morse needs a more finely executed cleaning/greasing. I’m thinking that maybe the spring is gummed up a bit and that is causing the throttle to engage a bit too early. 

For reference: 

Update: the issue is DEFINITELY at the control. Somehow I missed it while on the water, but the throttle cable starts to engage about half way through the transmission lever arm stroke. Seems that the spring is not fully compressed in neutral, so it’s travel is small. 

Fix will be 2 part: 1) complete clean, inspect and re-grease the spring and make sure it travels its full stroke, and 2) adjust the position of the connector on the control cable to maximize the amount of spring compression when in neutral. 

Thanks to all,

Will