Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rip & replace factory subwoofer + enclosure...

IXFE

16 hours ago, IXFE said:

Take lots of pics and do a write up. We need a VLX “rip and replace” thread. Also curious how you like the TW. 

Likely November before this starts; can't take boat out of service during the season!! 

May get the helm open for measurements before then

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 9:01 AM, tower210 said:

Not sure that I need shallow yet; need to open the helm and look.  I have a 2020VLX that didn't come with a sub.  I'm assuming the helm may be a bit shallower than the 23 (just assuming everything shrunk a bit).  I'm already adding a SynDX6 to power my new REV10s; I'll have 600 rms on the leftover 5/6 channels.  None of the sealed JL marine subs will take that.  Don't want to go free air.

The 13tw5 just seemed like it might be a perfect fit; great power handling; over-sized woofer; matches the power I have to feed.  I need to look under the helm and see how much space I have.  0.75 cu. ft. @ only 7.75" deep seems like it might not need the notch?

If you have alternatives, avoid a shallow mount subwoofer in a boat, even the JL Audio which are the best in class. The shallow mounts have less excursion and lower sensitivity. These differences may never be exposed in a small enclosed vehicle cabin, but an open boat is another animal.     

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/15/2019 at 12:58 PM, IXFE said:

5E0A0EF5-514D-4AB7-963C-CB4FB0115722.jpeg

33329A37-AC25-462A-93BA-CC291B057AAD.jpeg

Hey IXFE,

Great build. A lot of this info went into my latest box build. Was wondering if you could provide a little more info on the LED strip? Amazon purchase? Where did you tie the electrical in? Adhesive to the the back plate?

Sorry if this is a duplicate ask! Appreciate the help.

1 hour ago, lukehartwig said:

Hey IXFE,

Great build. A lot of this info went into my latest box build. Was wondering if you could provide a little more info on the LED strip? Amazon purchase? Where did you tie the electrical in? Adhesive to the the back plate?

Sorry if this is a duplicate ask! Appreciate the help.

Yup, just your basic 5050 blue LED strip. There are a million on Amazon, eBay, etc. 

It’s wired all the way back to the cockpit light on the starboard side. You just have to fish the wire up around the driver’s seat and into the cavity under the helm. This way, when you turn on the cockpit lights, the sub light turns on too!

As far as adhesive, I use 3M VHB tape. It’s super strong. 

• Like 1
On 7/25/2020 at 7:01 AM, tower210 said:

Not sure that I need shallow yet; need to open the helm and look.  I have a 2020VLX that didn't come with a sub.  I'm assuming the helm may be a bit shallower than the 23 (just assuming everything shrunk a bit).  I'm already adding a SynDX6 to power my new REV10s; I'll have 600 rms on the leftover 5/6 channels.  None of the sealed JL marine subs will take that.  Don't want to go free air.

The 13tw5 just seemed like it might be a perfect fit; great power handling; over-sized woofer; matches the power I have to feed.  I need to look under the helm and see how much space I have.  0.75 cu. ft. @ only 7.75" deep seems like it might not need the notch?

Are you using the factory harness for the Syn6? Are you doing a single pair of Rev10's or four? 

Following along on this.

23 hours ago, Try2paz said:

Are you using the factory harness for the Syn6? Are you doing a single pair of Rev10's or four? 

Following along on this.

Adapted a pin connector for the retail version of the Syn6.  One pair of REV10s on the factory 3.5 tower brackets; they tuck much nicer than the Icon 8s.  

They sound great!  Love the control from the wristband....Just wish it had song advance!!!; they need a setup screen that would allow configuration of the wristband; I would gladly trade wedge position on the wristband for song advance; we only listen on playlists and wish we could tell it NEXT.

#malibu  are you listening?

1 hour ago, tower210 said:

Adapted a pin connector for the retail version of the Syn6.  One pair of REV10s on the factory 3.5 tower brackets; they tuck much nicer than the Icon 8s.  

They sound great!  Love the control from the wristband....Just wish it had song advance!!!; they need a setup screen that would allow configuration of the wristband; I would gladly trade wedge position on the wristband for song advance; we only listen on playlists and wish we could tell it NEXT.

#malibu  are you listening?

Did you end up doing the Rev10's in 2ohm or 4ohm? Any pics of the install?

thanks,

Nate

9 hours ago, Try2paz said:

Did you end up doing the Rev10's in 2ohm or 4ohm? Any pics of the install?

thanks,

Nate

4 ohm bridged...1-2 Rev10; 2-3 REV10; 5-6 SUB; just checked my phone....embarrassed that I don't