Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rip & replace factory subwoofer + enclosure...

IXFE

1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

In lieu of a terminal cup, someone did a box on here in the semi ancient past using machine screws for the wire.  So drill two holes in the box, just big enough for machine screws to pass through.  on the inside, the pigtail wires are on ring terminals that go on the screw heads.  silicone is squirted in the screw holes, then screws are inserted, flat washers on top then nuts.  Then ring terminals from the amp wire goes on top of the protruding screw/nut, with a second nut with lock washer on top of that.  Maybe @Cory did it that way?  I thought that was pretty slick.

I’ve actually never used a cup (except when I’ve bought a prefab box). I think they’re garbage. 

For this box I bought these posts (pic 1). So I just have to drill two small holes, thread them through, and silicon to be safe. 

I am recycling the factory pigtail (oh the irony) albeit shorter. I’ve already prepared it with the ring terminals (pic 2).

24703637-5FF0-4FB8-BC91-74C9117B76DB.jpeg

AB5B1FB5-645B-4CE6-9966-6AF7DBCF0A6C.jpeg

• Like 3

Pic 1 - Floor risers in place and screwed down; super solid. Tape at the lip helps me know where to drill/screw through the enclosure floor

Pic 2 - Box testing in place, not secure yet. I think I may be able to get that 8th sub screw inserted  

3F5733EF-B863-4E7C-9B01-5ACE295783F7.jpeg

99DF66F8-ADF2-449F-BE73-BE73D63A5C1D.jpeg

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 2

Not shown - Recycled foam strips stuck to top of these HDPE pieces. Added benefit is these strips is holding box in place while driving the first screw in.  

Pic 1 - After much deliberation, decided to secure box with four recycled 1.5” #10 stainless screws.  

Pic 2 - After carefully pre drilling holes (which killed me), screws are in... It’s super SOLID!

Pic 3/4 - I played around with the pig tail and woofer and decided to top mount the GOLD terminals, as previously discussed. Should minimize any wire rattling that may occur.  

Pic 5 - All that’s left is mounting the sub.  Seems like a good time too knock off for the evening 😜 

A70C92FF-472A-4F37-A1E9-939114C44457.jpeg

86949E7F-AAEE-426D-8F7E-27FFBA4EEBB1.jpeg

5A21FF81-5508-4465-BE58-7AB11D4B638A.jpeg

2193FC00-E78A-4832-8027-F5C4121B2057.jpeg

6FD880BD-A7E1-49F2-9DCC-2D88C1E8D144.jpeg

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

In lieu of a terminal cup, someone did a box on here in the semi ancient past using machine screws for the wire.  So drill two holes in the box, just big enough for machine screws to pass through.  on the inside, the pigtail wires are on ring terminals that go on the screw heads.  silicone is squirted in the screw holes, then screws are inserted, flat washers on top then nuts.  Then ring terminals from the amp wire goes on top of the protruding screw/nut, with a second nut with lock washer on top of that.  Maybe @Cory did it that way?  I thought that was pretty slick.

I did exactly what IXFE did above.  Wow!  I haven't looked at that old thread for a lot of years...  Those were good times.   Great work IXFE.  You've come along way from those early years.  I found carpet foot pads worked the best to avoid squeaks.   I'm going on my 5th summer and no issues with my sub yet.  Knock on wood...

post-4451-0-53956600-1424890874.jpg

post-4451-0-10877500-1424890709.jpg

Edited by Cory
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, IXFE said:

Not shown - Recycled foam strips stuck to top of these HDPE pieces. Added benefit is these strips is holding box in place while driving the first screw in.  

Pic 1 - After much deliberation, decided to secure box with four recycled 1.5” #10 stainless screws.  

Pic 2 - After carefully pre drilling holes (which killed me), screws are in... It’s super SOLID!

Pic 3/4 - I played around with the pig tail and woofer and decided to top mount the GOLD terminals, as previously discussed. Should minimize any wire rattling that may occur.  

Pic 5 - All that’s left is mounting the sub.  Seems like a good time too knock off for the evening 😜 

A70C92FF-472A-4F37-A1E9-939114C44457.jpeg

86949E7F-AAEE-426D-8F7E-27FFBA4EEBB1.jpeg

5A21FF81-5508-4465-BE58-7AB11D4B638A.jpeg

2193FC00-E78A-4832-8027-F5C4121B2057.jpeg

6FD880BD-A7E1-49F2-9DCC-2D88C1E8D144.jpeg

I could never knock off for the evening when I am this close.

52 minutes ago, Sparky450 said:

I could never knock off for the evening when I am this close.

Truth is... I was planning to recycle the factory screws to screw in the sub, but the heads are too big. So I gotta hit Home Depot in the morning to finish. 

• Like 3

Not at all surprised to hear of the results. JL Audio is absolutely fanatical about every detail of their subwoofers, from the W3 and up. And the same amount of finesse goes into their recommended enclosure volume. All that's left is building a great box...and you're dialed-in there too.  

• Like 3
9 hours ago, David said:

Not at all surprised to hear of the results. JL Audio is absolutely fanatical about every detail of their subwoofers, from the W3 and up. And the same amount of finesse goes into their recommended enclosure volume. All that's left is building a great box...and you're dialed-in there too.  

Thanks, David.  I appreciate the kind words.  This has been a fun (and eye opening) project.  

4 minutes ago, ctvandy23 said:

@G Spotlooks great!  What type of LED did you use for the woofer and the inboat?

Thanks! I bought some LED strip lights off amazon for the sub backlight and some small individual LEDs for the back of the inboat tweeters.

10 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

That looks like it was miserable. I wonder if the glue adhears to the metal better than gel coat. 

I left it out in the 90 degree sun for hours too. Funny thing is last year it came off clean and EASY!

44CD8D75-536F-4394-84B4-13A84EFD5D40.jpeg

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, IXFE said:

I left it out in the 90 degree sun for hours too. Funny thing is last year it came off clean and EASY!

44CD8D75-536F-4394-84B4-13A84EFD5D40.jpeg

Interesting. Wonder if they changed the adhesive backing, or suppliers, or both!

• 2 weeks later...