Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

RPM Surge after coming off throttle?

My 03 Response LXi is occasionally surging (in neutral) for a split second after coming off throttle before returning to normal idle rpm.   Any thoughts?   

(Only happens when coming off throttle at higher RPMs (skiing speed).  If I’m  just idling it doesn’t happen)

Edited by spinxt
11 hours ago, Bozboat said:

Try Cleaning or replacing the Idle air control valve.

Yeah I was thinking IAC or TPS

formulaben

Per a post from @electricjohn the 2003 models had a known issue with idle flare.  Apparently your ECM can be re-flashed at the dealer if it hasn't been done already. 

Having said that, if the ECM has already been re-flashed, the IAC is a simple fix:

• 3 weeks later...

@spinxt did you solve the idle surge issue?  My '03 LXi recently started doing the same thing.  It is idling about 150 rpm too high, and when I shift into forward or reverse it surges and then settles back down to 650 or so.  PITA when trying to maneuver in tight spaces, and scary when picking up a skier. 

I replaced the TPS (AC Delco brand) and the IAC (BWD brand), but neither fixed the problem.  Any way to test the replacement parts to see if they are both working correctly?  There was no change to the rpms when I disconnected the IAC, but it surged drastically when I disconnected the TPS.  Problem happens with the engine cover open as well, so no rubbing or binding. 

Seems unlikely, but Is it possible that a software issue would show up at 900 hours?

On 6/12/2019 at 9:59 AM, powbmps said:

@spinxt did you solve the idle surge issue?  My '03 LXi recently started doing the same thing.  It is idling about 150 rpm too high, and when I shift into forward or reverse it surges and then settles back down to 650 or so.  PITA when trying to maneuver in tight spaces, and scary when picking up a skier. 

I replaced the TPS (AC Delco brand) and the IAC (BWD brand), but neither fixed the problem.  Any way to test the replacement parts to see if they are both working correctly?  There was no change to the rpms when I disconnected the IAC, but it surged drastically when I disconnected the TPS.  Problem happens with the engine cover open as well, so no rubbing or binding. 

Seems unlikely, but Is it possible that a software issue would show up at 900 hours?

I have not fixed it. I cleaned my IAC and no change in the behavior.  According to the indmar service manual, when initially installed the IAC pintel should protrude no further than 28mm.   Then you should start the engine for 5 second, off for 10, then restart.    This should calibrate the IAC. I haven’t tried that yet 

Hmm.  My friend has an '04 that has had idle surge for a few years.  He has had it at several shops, but it still does it.  I cleaned the throttle body.  No change.