Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

97 Sunsetter strut bolts leaking

I have been chasing a leak in my 97 Sunsetter.   I filled the Hull with water an found the leak was coming from inside the HDs box.   I removed the lid and found that the leak is coming in from the strut bolts.    With the hull full, water will run into the HDs box, so I assume the leak will go the other way when it is in the water.  

This seems odd to me because the leak would need to come from the Fiberglas.  The bolts had silicone sealant and it does not appear to be in good condition.    

Can I remove each bolt, reseal/silicone and replace?   Or will I need to remove the strut?  

I found my answer.  I apologize for not searching harder. 

I took my boat up to a local boat shop in Columbus that used to be a Malibu dealer.   He mentioned that he is factory trained in repairing the hds box leak.    

I am anxiously awaiting a quote.  

If I were you I'd do a shaft log with a water-cooled seal.  Don't just "repair" the HDS.  (While failures are not all that common, they are a pretty catastrophic failure and an example of unintelligent engineering)

Thanks for sharing that thread, would have been nice if built2rev had followed up with positive results. (2013) I plan on attacking the HDS  box soon.