Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
TroyNic

Prop question

TroyNic

1988 sunsetter 5.7

I seem to top out at about 36mph and right around 3200 rpm I have a 4 blade 13x13 prop on it and wonder if I can improve performance

Eagleboy99

Shouldn't redline be closer to 5000 rpm?

tbullard

Seems to be a common problem with that can be one of several issues. Mine also suffered from topping out at around 3000rpm and you can find many examples of this with a forum search. There doesn't seem to be a standard fix to the problem but can be fixed if you find the problem. Mine was the ICM in the distributor.

SkiPablo

it's not the prop.    You have some other kind of fuel or ignition issue.   You can start with the basics like cap and rotor and new plugs.   you can also check your linkage while you are not running to see if the carb is fully opening.

TroyNic

I changed the cap and plugs...will do wire and rotor

TroyNic

I noticed on my distributor what I believe is the icm....it has 2 plugs, one of which has the wires cut off of it, any ideas?