Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat lift solar panel setup

JulioEstevez

Hello

I am picking up my new boat lift tomorrow. I wanted to have opinions on the wattage required for the solar panel to charge the 12v battery. We are using the boat on the weekends only. Boat is a 2002 sunscape, dry weight 2900lbs so probably around 4000lbs with tower gear gas etc. 

Also, do you use a specific type of battery or any marine battery will do the job?

I searched the forum but didnt find anything on the subject.

Thanks!

On 5/24/2019 at 5:02 PM, JulioEstevez said:

Also, do you use a specific type of battery or any marine battery will do the job?

Here is what my lift has in it.

452AD0F3-F4BF-499A-8469-89CF4DDEAE86.thumb.jpeg.537e5603c65ec087cba9f7ed217f9220.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses. They said they sell 10w solar panels, seems low but i guess if they had complaints they would sell larger panels so we got a 10watt with charge controller. 

Walmart EverMax marine deep cycle , group 24 size like 65-75 bucks is fine put them on 1000s of lifts over the years. 

I don't waste money on batteries for boat lifts.. 

Weekend only 10w-12v is ok, however if you're buying a motor that is direct drive and 24-volt capable I would highly suggest you go 20 watt 24 volts. If your motor is capable of 24 volts and you use the boat lift there isn't a whole lot of difference in price.. 12 volts is pretty much worthless these days unless you're motor is only 12 volt capable or you're really trying to save a little bit of money.. most people that buy 12 volts end up regretting it and want to switch to 24 volts after seeing their neighbors.. however it's all new solar at that point.. 

Also at 24 volts you gain about 15 to 20% efficiency.. the motors go more than two times as fast as well.. after seeing 24 volts 12 volts on a direct drive motor is like watching AstroTurf grow.. 

now if you have a 12 volt hydraulic that's a different story and you're stuck with 12 volts.. or if you have a wheel to wheel drive motor that is 12 only as well then you're stuck at 12 volts again.. but all direct drive motors are now 12 or 24 volt capable for the most part... 

Pm me if u need any further info

Example direct drive 24v setup

20190525_170138.jpg

20190525_170036.jpg

20190525_165838.jpg

Edited by The Hulk
14 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Walmart EverMax marine deep cycle , group 24 size like 65-75 bucks is fine put them on 1000s of lifts over the years. 

I don't waste money on batteries for boat lifts.. 

Weekend only 10w-12v is ok, however if you're buying a motor that is direct drive and 24-volt capable I would highly suggest you go 20 watt 24 volts. If your motor is capable of 24 volts and you use the boat lift there isn't a whole lot of difference in price.. 12 volts is pretty much worthless these days unless you're motor is only 12 volt capable or you're really trying to save a little bit of money.. most people that buy 12 volts end up regretting it and want to switch to 24 volts after seeing their neighbors.. however it's all new solar at that point.. 

Also at 24 volts you gain about 15 to 20% efficiency.. the motors go more than two times as fast as well.. after seeing 24 volts 12 volts on a direct drive motor is like watching AstroTurf grow.. 

now if you have a 12 volt hydraulic that's a different story and you're stuck with 12 volts.. or if you have a wheel to wheel drive motor that is 12 only as well then you're stuck at 12 volts again.. but all direct drive motors are now 12 or 24 volt capable for the most part... 

Pm me if u need any further info

Example direct drive 24v setup

20190525_170138.jpg

20190525_170036.jpg

20190525_165838.jpg

I've got that exact same motor, i know it's 24v capable but I will try 12v first as our boat is a fraction of the weight of yours 😅. We had a 12v lift before and it dis just fine. 

Thanks for your input on batteries, will go the cheaper route. I feel that the battery is in the best conditions, getting charged constantly and used for minutes at a time so it should be fine. We bought a 10w panel as well.

Have you used the bluetooth app as a remote? We found out there was one last weekend but the lift is not installed yet so i couldn't try it. Not sure it is really useful as it comes with 2 remotes but we'll see

5 hours ago, JulioEstevez said:

I've got that exact same motor, i know it's 24v capable but I will try 12v first as our boat is a fraction of the weight of yours 😅. We had a 12v lift before and it dis just fine. 

Thanks for your input on batteries, will go the cheaper route. I feel that the battery is in the best conditions, getting charged constantly and used for minutes at a time so it should be fine. We bought a 10w panel as well.

Have you used the bluetooth app as a remote? We found out there was one last weekend but the lift is not installed yet so i couldn't try it. Not sure it is really useful as it comes with 2 remotes but we'll see

BlueTooth ha,, like i'm going to DISCONNECT from my boat to connect to the boat lift motor, boat and music is priority for connection! haha.. frankly its a marketing thing IMO, sounds cool but you would never use it unless your just trying to show someone you "can" so much faster to whip out the key fob and press a button instead. plus i've donated too many samsung phones to the lake anyhow, now i tend to set the phone in the boat before i even board as its fallen out of shorts climbing in boat and or setting it on the lift and doing other things bumping it in, if its out its probably going to end up in the lake for me at least. Fobs are water-proof, current cell phones not so much 

• Haha 1

I have the exact same setup as @The Hulk   Same batteries from Walmart, motor and solar. Could not be happier. I have a 21 VLX and having the 2 battery set up moves that boat up and down pretty fast. You won’t be disappointed. 

Based on how our lift and dock are set up I got the corded remote and run it over the top of the lift canopy to right where I pull in on the lift. I just have to reach up and and push the up button. Makes things really easy. 

I have the same lift motor too but have a little 2009 Response LXI on my lift. I’ve run it in both 12V and 24V just to see the difference. It’s very noticeable and the second battery is worth it. 

24V with a 20W solar panel on the Lift Tech motor is a great way to go.