Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

anyone know why malibu throttle is so smooth?

weekender

anyone know why malibu throttle is so smooth?

Comparing this to a traditional i/o or outboard where you have to clunk throttle into gear to get moving foward, then you can accelerate.

No clunking motion in the malibu.

Maybe transmission or torque converter design?

6 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

It’s electronic. Throttle and shift by wire.

ah, i guess compared to most i/o's or outboards, throttle directly connected via mechanial wire to engine/transmission?

But I do feel like my 2008 was 10x smoother than my 2019.  I really miss the old Issota shifter they used back then (the one with the button on top that was recalled for the neutral issue.) That thing reminded me of the shift knob in a Miata where we just made small movements of the wrist.  We are still trying to get use to the 2019 throttle which feels like it takes huge movements from neutral to get a response compared to what are brains are trained for.  I figured by the end of the summer the new boat will feel like the new "normal".  I tried "aggressive" mode but that wasn't any better.  And I thought I read that pretty much all wakeboats these days use the same shifter with just different design.

download.jpg.b7acebff602e323eac253c6aea3fb00c.jpg

6 minutes ago, gregtay said:

But I do feel like my 2008 was 10x smoother than my 2019.  I really miss the old Issota shifter they used back then (the one with the button on top that was recalled for the neutral issue.) That thing reminded me of the shift knob in a Miata where we just made small movements of the wrist.  We are still trying to get use to the 2019 throttle which feels like it takes huge movements from neutral to get a response compared to what are brains are trained for.  I figured by the end of the summer the new boat will feel like the new "normal".  I tried "aggressive" mode but that wasn't any better.  And I thought I read that pretty much all wakeboats these days use the same shifter with just different design.

download.jpg.b7acebff602e323eac253c6aea3fb00c.jpg

what is aggressive mode?

1 hour ago, weekender said:

what is aggressive mode?

Just changes the throttle curve map for the throttle leaver position (in theory less movement of the throttle = greater increase).. basically the opposite of "docking mode".  But it doesn't take out the "dead zone" between putting the lever in gear and the throttle increasing and the way it is designed when you do get past the dead zone the initial throttle increase isn't smooth.