Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Canadian life jackets used in the US.

carguy79ta

My wife just ordered a life jacket for 1yo-3yo grandkids. It is 90 bucks. Our buddy likes it for his kids. My thought is the WP will prolly know it is not USCG and give us a $300 ticket. The reason for getting this one is it fits the very young children better than the USCG...so my buddy says. Thoughts?

I gather if you are a US citizen on a US vessel a USCGA jacket is required.  It would be fine if you were a Canadian in US water to have a Transport Canada Approved jacket.   The guy giving you a ticket would have to be having a bad day to ticket you for a jacket that was approved by Transport Canada though.  The requirement for an infants vest I believe are stricter in Canada and a USCGA infant vest is not legal to use in Canada due to the fact that it is mandatory that there is a strap and floater behind the head required for all infant jackets.  I may be wrong here but that's is what I thought I read.

I use a canadian infant life vest in the US.  I keep a uscg infant vest in the boat just in case but use the vest I think is safest for my litle one. 

23 hours ago, vanamp said:

I use a canadian infant life vest in the US.  I keep a uscg infant vest in the boat just in case but use the vest I think is safest for my litle one. 

I dont care about the cost of the LJ, I just want one that is safest and comfy for the GKs. I dont, however, want to be hassled by the WP. Actually, I will look them up at the lake this weekend, and ask them. They are friendly at my normal lake. We are planning on a trip to Bull Shoals , renting 4 cabins and a pontoon, you all know how it is..$$

The neoprene ones similar to this however look for ones that have a deeper V for chin otherwise zipper is in their chin..

About $40 at most places

45ce3b00-fbb5-4ec0-9716-72980187044e_1.4aaba5590ed7663fc65e0f19d7f7b56d.jpeg