Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
weekender

How did Malibu get wave this big in promo video?

weekender

Just wondering how malibu got the surf wave sized like this w sometimes 2 people surfing on it w no rope in the 23lsv video here:

in the thumbnail

https://vimeo.com/289001648

ahopkinsVTX

My guess is:

Full MLS and 550 plug n plays

PW3 at 4 from lift

10.8mph ish. 

NWBU

I’d say that’s a normal 23 LSV wave with the right settings and balance of the boat.

I actually think it’s a little flatter than what I’m seeing this year on my regular wave this year, but I tweak my setup a bit for that.

4D43C1BB-5881-4B2E-9167-8A462EB00602.thumb.jpeg.6c92e0f48ed2ed8e10fafb0d280eaa5d.jpeg

Eagleboy99

I never saw less than 5 people in the boat.  The surfer is like 5' nothing tall (reference perspective).  The low camera angle (I could show you pics of my Response surf wave that would make you ask the same Q).  And probably some lead in there, too: notice the attitude/angle of the boat.  It is photography man.

NWBU

Yeah, there’s photo angles and people placement but it’s not a better wave that anyone can run in this boat. They don’t even stack the people in the boat on the port side, which would help their wave in the clip.

gregtay

I think this video is even a bit more interesting simply because they called out (I think on twitter or facebook, can't remember) the method for setting up the boat which is suppose to be "the default surf set up from the factory".. which we would assume means tapping the "surf left" preset.  While I think this wave is absolutely achievable on a 23LSV that is not the wave I see if 4 people (two on each side) and simply hitting the "Surf Left" and letting everything fill up (with PnP).  My boat ends up with the bow higher and the wave shorter.  I need some extra weight on the port side near the front or I need to dump some water from the port tank to get the bow down and lengthen the wave.(who knows.. maybe the guys sitting on the port side in the video tip the scale @ 400 lbs and the driver is only 120.:))  I think @NWBU's wave is very close to what we see in the video but he had to do a little extra tweaking to get there.

gregtay
2 hours ago, NWBU said:

Ok, this is from my 2018 23. No extra lead or ballast other than 475 PNP’s, which I didn’t even have all full. Wedge probably 3 clicks from lift and 11 mph.

Crew was 2 guys in the boat and this rider is ~6’ for scale. 

A09E22AF-C938-462D-AC53-172CD979114D.thumb.jpeg.8b26b2420d737ce0e0734f03c78cc827.jpeg

I think not having PnP full is key in that case.  if you fill up pnp you need something else up front to balance things out otherwise you get too much bow rise and the wave gets too short (huge, but short)  Also entirely possible my boat just has more bow rise than others (can't image the M6 is all that much heavier, but I also have the Gx which should add weight mid-ship to counterbalance that.)  But what I see with my boat is what I saw on my 2 demo rides. Again, not bad, just needs to be tweaked a bit (because the "default" config tends to yield a short peaky wave, not a long pushy wave due to too much bow rise.)

mikeo

Malibu's recommendation, as told to me by multiple people who are employed there, is for a 60/40 ratio of weight back to front. I asked for the info on my ballast tanks, which is how I learned about the 60/40 ratio. Use 8.33 lbs/gal, don't count the weight of the ballast container for your calculations. Once you have the weight in the correct proportions, then it's simply manipulating the final two variables: speed and wedge. Speed is fairly easy to lock in on, there is a small range where the surfer can stay in the pocket; depending on skill the speed should be between 8.5 and 13 MPH. I'm sure there are people who can surf faster and slower, but an average of 10-11 MPH is common. Once the speed is dialed in, then you can change wedge settings. Both the speed and wedge can be manipulated by the surf band.

I've found that the surf band is best used for speed and wedge settings only while the rider still has the rope. It's very easy to adjust the wake so that you're out of the pocket and have no chance of recovery. A rider can easily create a massive wave with just a few tweaks, a wave similar to the pictures above is fairly easy to achieve with some minor calculations and patience.

For my personal configuration on a '15 23 LSV, please read this post of mine:

Also, take a look at this thread:

ahopkinsVTX

Also remember, if you are running less ballast your probably run a wedge setting more aggressive than a guy running more ballast. There are multiple ways to get there. Generally these new bots are designed two to three generations of surf gate, hull and wedge that extra weight is not needed at all except for minor tweaks like @NWBU is making. IMO running a few extra pounds of lead in a few areas is not “extra weight” like most people thing. That’s taking something that’s really good and super fine tuning it. I type this seconds after I put 200 pounds of lead in the storage compartment behind the observers seat in my vtx because we are going to ski tomorrow morning. Yes, I added weight for skiing. It’s because at ski speeds, even if you have perfect human weight evenly balanced in the boat, the boat still slightly lists at speed causing the wake to be a hair uneven. I suspect it’s from the 15” prop turning at 4000rpm for 34.2mph. There’s a lot or torque back there!! Is it bad? No. Is it average? No. It’s a solid good without the lead. But it gets to very very good with the lead. 

gregtay

I figured I’d loop back to this thread as I had some serious doubts about getting a great wave out of the new 23 without adding lead. We finally have the boat dialed in and the wave is GREAT. I will grab a few additional shots with the drone today.

setup:

2019 23LSV 

All tanks 100% + 550 PnP 100%

Wedge @ ramp (sometimes ramp +1 or +2 depending on the board and what we WW at.)

Two people in the boat (my wife and sister.. both tip the scales at 120 ish.)

Photos from my GoPro mounted right next to the rear cup holder.

81C63D03-5D91-4F4C-884F-C52E10C38199.thumb.jpeg.5504def142e9e691c030e0107b4fc85d.jpeg

0A57C6F5-DAD5-4FB9-8F4D-35CB8727EF95.thumb.jpeg.2191b49cbafa34e44dbe7efeb61ebc51.jpeg

A0035863-6E9E-456E-844B-D882EA378E8A.thumb.jpeg.d0fa5dc2985a1f514136b5f444ee431a.jpeg

24A95AEF-1E15-4BDA-A308-61B11ED1F9A0.thumb.jpeg.7cf2ce623c47449baa7e59b300e43f93.jpeg

Raimie
1 hour ago, gregtay said:

I figured I’d loop back to this thread as I had some serious doubts about getting a great wave out of the new 23 without adding lead. We finally have the boat dialed in and the wave is GREAT. I will grab a few additional shots with the drone today.

setup:

2019 23LSV 

All tanks 100% + 550 PnP 100%

Wedge @ ramp (sometimes ramp +1 or +2 depending on the board and what we WW at.)

Two people in the boat (my wife and sister.. both tip the scales at 120 ish.)

Photos from my GoPro mounted right next to the rear cup holder.

Nice! What speed are you running?

gregtay
1 hour ago, Raimie said:

Nice! What speed are you running?

Chappy
On 5/24/2019 at 3:24 PM, gregtay said:

I think this video is even a bit more interesting simply because they called out (I think on twitter or facebook, can't remember) the method for setting up the boat which is suppose to be "the default surf set up from the factory".. which we would assume means tapping the "surf left" preset.  While I think this wave is absolutely achievable on a 23LSV that is not the wave I see if 4 people (two on each side) and simply hitting the "Surf Left" and letting everything fill up (with PnP).  My boat ends up with the bow higher and the wave shorter.  I need some extra weight on the port side near the front or I need to dump some water from the port tank to get the bow down and lengthen the wave.(who knows.. maybe the guys sitting on the port side in the video tip the scale @ 400 lbs and the driver is only 120.:))  I think @NWBU's wave is very close to what we see in the video but he had to do a little extra tweaking to get there.

Love that video, I do not get the fascination with the G Series boats but I must be in the minority as they seem to be selling a lot of them.