Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power washing vinyl?

wakesetta12

All depends on what tip you use I suppose.  I've got anywhere between a soft shower and one that will drill a hole in concrete.   That being said I would just use a bucket of soapy water and a brush. 

8 hours ago, wakesetta12 said:

Anyone try power washing their dirty vinyl seats? 

You'd have to throttle back the pressure so much or stand so far back, that there would be no reason to us a pressure washer.  Wrong tool for the job.

I bought a low power electric pressure washer just for that purpose. I cleaned the seats with it several times a year for about 5 years, never an issue, seams never showed any signs of wear. I think it was a Karcher 1500. Worked great on the seats and did wonders for the carpeting. Nothing else ever got it that clean. I would shy away from anything that burns gas and has a number like 3500 on the side. That might reduce the life of your vinyl.

Just now, Falko said:

I bought a low power electric pressure washer just for that purpose. I cleaned the seats with it several times a year for about 5 years, never an issue, seams never showed any signs of wear. I think it was a Karcher 1500. Worked great on the seats and did wonders for the carpeting. Nothing else ever got it that clean. I would shy away from anything that burns gas and has a number like 3500 on the side. That might reduce the life of your vinyl.

I think that is the differentiation.  Most folks wouldn't consider those little electric things pressure washers, since you can get the same power out of a decent hose end sprayer head.  The little electric things would be fine, but so is a hose.

10 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

I think that is the differentiation.  Most folks wouldn't consider those little electric things pressure washers, since you can get the same power out of a decent hose end sprayer head.  The little electric things would be fine, but so is a hose.

nuh-huh. It says "pressure washer" on it, so I'm sticking with pressure washer. This thing makes more pressure than a garden hose (and if you have more pressure from the street in your domestic water, taking a shower at your place must be exhilarating).  But the volume is pretty low so in reality the kinetic energy of the water isn't that great. I had mildew spots on the carpet that the garden hose would only wet. This "pressure washer" knocked it loose with ease. Same with the vinyl, hose would only wet the surface, the pressure washer would knock the dirt right out of the grain. I use this little thing for everything now. I have a 3000 gas jobby that I barely use anymore. I can wash the cars, patio furniture/cushions, lawn mower, etc without much worry of doing damage. And it's quiet, starts when I plug it in, and I can use it inside without causing sleepiness. 

For most folks this does everything that the little electrics do, and don't require you to be playing with electricity and water ;)  FWIW - I did actually own one of those electric things

https://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Jet-Power-Washer-Wand/dp/B07D4H3ZQV/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=3FXAD9RRLZIJ5&keywords=high+pressure+hose+nozzle&qid=1558699129&s=gateway&sprefix=high+pressure+%2Caps%2C182&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

Edited by oldjeep
17 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

For most folks this does everything that the little electrics do, and don't require you to be playing with electricity and water ;)  FWIW - I did actually own one of those electric things

https://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Jet-Power-Washer-Wand/dp/B07D4H3ZQV/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=3FXAD9RRLZIJ5&keywords=high+pressure+hose+nozzle&qid=1558699129&s=gateway&sprefix=high+pressure+%2Caps%2C182&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

I have a 2800 psi Honda gas power washer and also a 1800 electric portable power washer and the electric is waaaayyyy more powerful than the nozzle you posted.  I'm gonna be honest, I haven't pulled the larger, gas one, out in a long time and may sell it because the electric does very good.    The honda is a pain to drag around and even bigger pain to get up on deck and pool deck.  I've tried longer hoses but the pressure sucks when I do that so portable was the next option and I've been converted.  We have a patio across the back of the entire house with a large gazebo along with large upper deck and pool deck made out of  composite and vinyl railings.  The portable unit fits in one of my deck boxes so convenience is huge factor here. 

I honestly wanted the electric to suck because I had already invested in the Honda.  I will also say that two neighbors, who regularly borrowed my Honda, also purchased the same electric unit I have.  

9 hours ago, dreamlifeoc1 said:

eventually the power will wear down the stitching and pull apart.use a degreaser and magic eraser.

8 hours ago, formulaben said:

DO NOT use Magic Eraser, it damages the vinyl.  Use Roll Off cleaner and follow up with 303.

I can't emphasize that enough.  You should see a block of light grit sandpaper when you see those magic erasers.  It will look beautiful the first time you do it, but it takes you down a rabbit hole with no exit and no way to turn around.  

2 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

I can't emphasize that enough.  You should see a block of light grit sandpaper when you see those magic erasers.  It will look beautiful the first time you do it, but it takes you down a rabbit hole with no exit and no way to turn around.  

I called Malibu directly about the Magic Eraser question and they said in no uncertain terms that you should never use Magic Eraser on your vinyl. They told me that the first time you use it you will take the first layer, the sealed/protective layer, off. The second time you use it you actually start slowly wearing into the meat of the vinyl.

I've used Dawn on my vinyl followed immediately with 303 Protectant with great success. Some folks like other protectants. I think the top 3 or 4 you see talked about here on TMC are probably just personal preference and will protect equally well. The sun will do wonders as well.

Don't use Magic Eraser. 

1 hour ago, CharlieBeaU said:

I called Malibu directly about the Magic Eraser question and they said in no uncertain terms that you should never use Magic Eraser on your vinyl. They told me that the first time you use it you will take the first layer, the sealed/protective layer, off. The second time you use it you actually start slowly wearing into the meat of the vinyl.

I've used Dawn on my vinyl followed immediately with 303 Protectant with great success. Some folks like other protectants. I think the top 3 or 4 you see talked about here on TMC are probably just personal preference and will protect equally well. The sun will do wonders as well.

Don't use Magic Eraser. 

Ever heard if steaming seats is ok?

2 hours ago, wakesetta12 said:

Ever heard if steaming seats is ok?

Steam is used to fluff up foam when installing new skins.  Also, my upholstery guy uses it to stretch out skins (or wrinkles) on install.  But do you mean like using a steam cleaner?  I cannot imagine that being a great idea.  BICBW.

wow thanks for correcting the magic eraser.  I just know it made it look nice on my 04 wakesetter. I definitely wont use on my 19 24mxz...

12 hours ago, oldjeep said:

I own both.  One mounted in my garage with a direct hose feed and long pressure hose for car/boat washing.  It is a legitimate power washer.  Not as powerful as my gas unit, but far more than any hose adapter could offer.  Works perfectly for my foam cannon as well - something hose-only pressure can't do properly.  

Now for cleaning concrete, decks, etc...don't bother.  It will make an impact but a gas just gets the job done.  But for just washing stuff it is perfect.  Last several boat outing I have stopped wiping down, as I can just do a quick wash at home in similar time (4 min drive home mind you, otherwise I wouldn't do that).