Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What size box anchor?

spinxt

Finally going to cough up the cash for a box anchor.  What size do you think I need for a 20’ Response LXi?   

We boat mostly in a rock bottom river (with a 1-2mph current) and soft (mud) bottom lakes.  

formulaben

My home lake is mostly a muddy bottom so I have little experience with a current and rock bottom, so YMMV but other than that small is plenty good.  If you're not tying up with others you could probably do just fine with the "baby" size.  I've had 2 other boats attached to mine (as the sole anchor) and we held fine with the small, and with no anchor chain or excess rode, just an anchor buddy.

Edited by formulaben

small has held all my boats more than enough including a few boats that have tied up to me in the past

20 minutes ago, dalt1 said:

Just as reference, Can some list and confirm physical size of Baby and small?  I think the small is right at 12" x 12" square when deployed right?

These are the collapsed sizes, so the baby is about 9" square, small 11" square, large 12.5" square

Baby Box Anchor - 14 Lbs - 18” L x 7” W x 4.5” H

Small Box Anchor - 21 Lbs - 22” L x 8.5” W x 5” H

Large Box Anchor - 26 Lbs - 25” L x 9.5” W x 6.5” H

Extra Large Box Anchor - 40 Lbs - 30” L x 11” W x 6.5” H

I use the baby box anchor in my boat for when we are out and about.  Have tied up another boat and pontoon and it held fine in moderate conditions.   

I have the small box anchor that I take camping and tie my boat up right off the bank and leave it in the water overnight or when taking breaks during the day.  The small has held thru storms and rough conditions, the baby would probably work, but prefer the small since I  am usually a little ways from the boat.

I have a small at the bottom of my lake....don't ask.  I will be replacing with a baby size but I don't tie up with other boats often and lake bottoms i frequent are pretty soft. 

• 6 months later...

Need some advice as these are definitely on my "to buy" list before spring.  Does anyone use or have experience with them in the central TX hill country lakes (Travis, LBJ)?  The lakes here in central TX are mostly rock or stump bottoms and I've lost a number of spade anchors over the years, I'm a little worried about losing a box anchor as well.  Also curious what size I need, looks like most go with the small but I feel like it might not be enough for a 25 foot LSV.  Wind is almost constant around here too (10-15), sometimes more.  Any advice would be appreciated, TIA.  

Can't comment on the Central, TX lakes, but I would image any anchor is going to get stuck on rocks and stumps.  As for size last summer a baby held my VTX and a A22 in some pretty strong winds without an issue. IMO the small would be plenty even for a 25footer. @RyanB Commented above he'd buy a baby if he had to do it over again LSV 23.

In a lake most any sized box would probably do well for anything up to 25’ given the correct amount of rope. I typically boat in river current of about 1 to 2 mph and my small box 18” IIRC has worked well for me. No anchor is going to work worth a crap without the correct amount of rope for a given depth. You can see where the ratios vary dependent on where you look. I always figure NLT a 2:1 ration rope to depth. We typically see some pretty hard bottom due to scouring. It may take a couple repositionings, but I always manage to get it set. The same for a soft bottom and this is where I think a larger sized box might have an advantage over a baby box.

I have a baby box anchor on my 25lsv. The one time I needed it last year. It did not hold. Wind of 5-10, incoming tide, and a very soft peat dirt bottom. Probably 2-3’ of very soft peat dirt.  I will be trying again next year, then will most likely go to at least a small. 

I have a medium. Probably way overkill but it was all bakes had in stock at the time and that’s what they recommended.

Has held in all but one spot it was crazy infested with weeds and large rock. 

Edited by Cole2001

I have a small and it's a bit of overkill for just 1 boat.  I can hold 2 others with no issue with our sand/mud bottom in shallow water.  I'd probably rather have a baby for everyday use, but it's nice knowing that she's set when I have that rare overnight at anchor with wind.

Edited by formulaben
confused sizes, thanks @G Spot

IIRC the box anchor only comes in baby, small and large. 

I have the baby on an anchor buddy and small on 100’ of rope. My lake is muddy bottom so the baby works great if it’s just my boat and sometimes another if the wind isn’t too bad. The small works great for bigger tie ups. 

There’s a big difference in size between the baby and small. The baby is effortless to deploy/stow so I use that one when I can get away with it. 

13 hours ago, formulaben said:

I have a small and it's a bit of overkill for just 1 boat.  I can hold 2 others with no issue with our sand/mud bottom in shallow water.  I'd probably rather have a baby for everyday use, but it's nice knowing that she's set when I have that rare overnight at anchor with wind.

Lol. Sorry I didn’t mean to call you out. The small feels like medium to me. 😜

With the box anchor you could tie a lined with a float attached to it  to the opposite side to the anchor from where the rode is attached.  That would allow you to pull the anchor up in the opposite direction it was dragging if it does become lodged on something.