Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hyperlite shim

Elkinsa

I am looking for a skim/surf style board and saw a good sale on the Hyperlite Shim board. Anyone have any experience  with this board. It is a 2018. It’s online so I obviously can’t try before I buy. My local dealer isn’t really doing the demo program anymore.  Bought a Happy pill last year for a “get everyone up and surfing board”. 

Any input is appreciated.  Don’t really have a budget but just want a fun board that moves a little faster. 

Thanks!

I love mine! It's a 2016 though.

Fastest board in our quiver and we have 3 others. Get the small one if you're under 165 lbs.

Edited by minnmarker

Its my favorite compression molded board.  Its light, quick and you can ride surf or skim with a fin change.  Great all around board.  It's very tough to beat in its price range.

Got it for my wife and we ride it with only the small center fin. It has been a good a pretty good transition board for the newbs coming off of the HL Landlocked board we start people on. Overall a good board for the money.

Edited by wdr

Thanks for the detail. I may end up spending more money on a board down the road just for me but we are just getting into surfing last summer and seems people like it for the most part. It should be a good addition to the boat. 

Thanks!

Sounds like you have all the input you need, but I'll add my $0.02 as well. We love the shim.  It is a great board for most riders in the boat.  To be honest, we liked it so much we bought both sizes.  The great thing about the board is the amount of fin set ups you can choose from.  We have them set up with a single fin in the center for my wife and I, however, for a beginners we will run 3 or 5 fins for stability. I'm about 6' and 250 and can ride the 4'7" but really have to work at it.  The 5'3" rides more like a surf style board but with the ability to spin and boost.  I'll echo the above statements, for the money (especially if you can find previous years colors at a discount) it is hard to beat.

• Like 1

Thanks for that! I am 6’3” 190. So I was trying to decide on which size. I might give the smaller size a try. Like you say for the price your not out much and my wife and kids can always use it as well. Thanks for the insight!

One of the Best boards I ever had period, great for all skill levels. Center fin only was great, and the channel design built into board is fast and stable and makes for a large pocket and recovery

1st year yellow one was the best and lightest, broke mine trying to get a teenager up with me at same time, dumb idea.. bought the next year I think 2016 black and pink model, hated it, lots heavier like well over 1 lbs if I recall, I think they beefed it up for sure 

sluggish, slower.. wall decoration now.. 

'Ive been tempted to buy a 2018/19 but want to weigh one first to see if they reduced weight again.

20180409_145738.jpg

20180409_145723.jpg

20180409_143944.jpg

Edited by The Hulk

Good point on the weight of it. I tried to find that out but was unsuccessful. I just went ahead and grabbed and will let you know. I went with the 4’7” and am sure it will be a good addition. At this point I don’t really know what I am missing out on as we are still rookies!😎

thanks for for the input all!

the heavier one was 

11 minutes ago, Elkinsa said:

Good point on the weight of it. I tried to find that out but was unsuccessful. I just went ahead and grabbed and will let you know. I went with the 4’7” and am sure it will be a good addition. At this point I don’t really know what I am missing out on as we are still rookies!😎

thanks for for the input all!

Heavier one was not terrible... it was still great, but after being on the lighter one i was upset, 'who likes change" i will say the black was "easier to spin on" but i did feel that is was less boyant and lil more drag, half of it might have been mental,

now that i have a 25lsv and bigger wave than my 23lsv i was also considering going down to the 4'7 instead of the 5'3

let me know weight! - thanks

Will the Shim fit in the standard Titan wakeboard rack or is it thick enough to require the surf slot?

On 6/5/2019 at 8:06 PM, Elkinsa said:

I weighed the Shim I got today. 6.6 without a fin on. This is the 4’7” one too. Gonna give the smaller one a try. Hope to get on it this weekend!

@The Hulk

Let me know how it goes, the 5'3 model is 0.2 -0.3 lbs heavier heavier lm just sad their new construction is much heavier 😣

I did cut open the original, the foam is the white fluffy very light kind I think EPS if I have that correct, tempted to cut my other open to know if the foams are different.maybe a higher density or different kind of foam is my guess. 

I did confirm with several other folks who have the first year shims all were 1lb+ lighter and the same, so mine was not a one off situation. 

Shim is still a good board just nothing like it use to be

Got out on the Shim yesterday for the first time. I really liked it! Faster and more nimble than I was used to. Fairly lose when out there and looking forward to more fun on soon. For the price nice addition would recommend.