Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Torsion axle fail 04’ Boat Mate

Pat502

So pulled the boat out of storage to launch for second time this year and noticed driver side front trailer tire was off the ground stuck up in the fender.  My heart sank as I quickly scavenged for a Corona to ponder the situation.  It was late and the mechanic was already gone so off the the house to fire up the IPad. Again the time members spend to share their experiences saved me and I’m sure many others a lot of headache.  I found threads on UFP/Dexter Axles and reached out this past Monday.  Ronnie in warranty was great.  A few pics of the failed axle and a new one as a courtesy is in production.  Other guys have received two axles but he only agreed to send me one complementary and sold me one at cost(<$200).  It says a lot for a company to stand behind a third owner 15 year old product!

• Like 2

A couple learning points for me were: The was no brake line locating tabs on the new axle from "BM", I had to fab some. I had to paint it,  no big deal to clean, prime and rattle can shoot it. You will want to get a reference mark from the old splined shafts and their relation/location in the torsion bar arms so you can restore the factory ride height. I did that with the axle still attached and unloaded/weightless. You may have to refer to the good side and count teeth from a fixed point to be able to set the other broken side. I had to use a cold chisel and ball peen hammer to separate the torsion arm gap enough to pull the arms off of the axle. I greased the shafts to aid arm reassembly. There is no alignment process for it, slap it on and bolt it down and done. Lastly I used about 50lbs :) of water proof grease between the new axle and the frame to keep it from squeaking after a couple of rust cycles. Good luck

• 4 weeks later...

Our '09 Extreme trailer had an axle fail at the beginning of last summer. I sent a few photos as well and since we live in Canada they agreed to ship us two new axles due to them not being able to get them to me for 8 weeks. The fact they warrantied their axles almost 10 years later is amazing.