Jump to content

 

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
7lazy77

2249 or 2279?

Recommended Posts

7lazy77

I am in the final stages of wrapping up the purchase of a "new" used 2018 VLX.  The boat currently has on the stock prop (2277), which will not work at my elevation.  I currently boat at 4700' & was wondering which prop (2249 or 2279) would be the best for me to swap out with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
theloungelife

How much ballast are you running?  I'm seeing wakemakers is saying the 2419 for heavy ballast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7lazy77

I guess I should of also mentioned that it will have the 410 Raptor.  I don't foresee me slamming the boat by any means, but just enough to get a good surf wake (factory hard tanks & 600# soft sacs at the most) along with my crew....me, my wife & three daughters with occasional friends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
breakz77

Would you rather have more low end or top end?

If you go with the 2249 you'll lose about 3-4mph but get on plain easier.

I'm at sea level and ordered with 2277 but am swapping out to get more low end. I don't need to do 40mph in a wakeboard boat :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7lazy77
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, breakz77 said:

Would you rather have more low end or top end?

If you go with the 2249 you'll lose about 3-4mph but get on plain easier.

I'm at sea level and ordered with 2277 but am swapping out to get more low end. I don't need to do 40mph in a wakeboard boat :)

 

 

I feel the same....I would rather have more low end than top.  I looked out on wakemakers & it recommends the following for a 2016+ LSV with 410:

WakeSurf/High Altitude - 2247

Heavily Weighted/Torque - 2419

Guess I am still up in the air on which prop would work best for my elevation & how I use the boat??

Edited by 7lazy77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
breakz77

Unless you running a ton of extra weight I would think the 2247 would be fine.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
onewake09

You wont notice a difference from the 2277 to the 2247. A good way to look at it is this.....the 2247 is a 15x14.25 with .150" cup. The 2249 is the same but with a .105" cup. That .045" cup difference is like adding an inch in pitch to the 2247, essentially making it a 15x15.25. Not a huge difference from the 2277 @ 15x15.75. The 2249 is great prop for weighted boats. And it will do well at elevation also. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lasik
On 5/22/2019 at 2:58 PM, onewake09 said:

You wont notice a difference from the 2277 to the 2247. A good way to look at it is this.....the 2247 is a 15x14.25 with .150" cup. The 2249 is the same but with a .105" cup. That .045" cup difference is like adding an inch in pitch to the 2247, essentially making it a 15x15.25. Not a huge difference from the 2277 @ 15x15.75. The 2249 is great prop for weighted boats. And it will do well at elevation also. 

Always wondered the effect of cup.  If the cup of 2277 also .150”, is the 2277 effectively 16.75 pitch?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JeffC

@7lazy77I am in Colorado, and boat primarily at Horsetooth Res, which at full pool is 5430'.   I have a 2017 22VLX with a 410 spinning a 2249.     I run with hard tanks full plus two 500 bags in the rear lockers.  The boat has fantastic pull in the low end, but clearly I traded off speed for grunt.   My top end is in the 34-36 mph range depending on water conditions.  Since I came from a Crownline IO that was fairly speedy (closer to 50), at first I was put off by the loss of speed, but after a season, I didn't even notice it anymore.   Since I mostly use the boat for surfing,  the balance of the 2249 is the right prop, at least at my altitude. 

550 bags are all I need... in fact I rarely run them full (only in SMOOTH water).  Mostly I run them about 80% full.    If I were to add more weight it would be in the bow as the wave can get a little short if the PNP bags are full (LOTS of push).   My absolute best wave is with a crew of 8-9, PNP at 75-80% full, with the biggest two people in the bow.   The VLX LOVES bow weight. 

If you havent seen them, there are some great threads here about the torque curves of the 410 and 450.  Read through this if you are interested....  

For what its worth, I concluded that the extra $$ of the 450 didn't do much for me as the curves pretty much are identical up to 3800 RPM.   I really don't like to push the engine much beyond that anyway, and since I am not barefooting I don't NEED to go fast.  :-) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7lazy77
35 minutes ago, JeffC said:

@7lazy77I am in Colorado, and boat primarily at Horsetooth Res, which at full pool is 5430'.   I have a 2017 22VLX with a 410 spinning a 2249.     I run with hard tanks full plus two 500 bags in the rear lockers.  The boat has fantastic pull in the low end, but clearly I traded off speed for grunt.   My top end is in the 34-36 mph range depending on water conditions.  Since I came from a Crownline IO that was fairly speedy (closer to 50), at first I was put off by the loss of speed, but after a season, I didn't even notice it anymore.   Since I mostly use the boat for surfing,  the balance of the 2249 is the right prop, at least at my altitude. 

550 bags are all I need... in fact I rarely run them full (only in SMOOTH water).  Mostly I run them about 80% full.    If I were to add more weight it would be in the bow as the wave can get a little short if the PNP bags are full (LOTS of push).   My absolute best wave is with a crew of 8-9, PNP at 75-80% full, with the biggest two people in the bow.   The VLX LOVES bow weight. 

If you havent seen them, there are some great threads here about the torque curves of the 410 and 450.  Read through this if you are interested....  

For what its worth, I concluded that the extra $$ of the 450 didn't do much for me as the curves pretty much are identical up to 3800 RPM.   I really don't like to push the engine much beyond that anyway, and since I am not barefooting I don't NEED to go fast.  :-) 

Thanks JeffC!   I appreciate your helpful input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...