Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Life Jackets take up too much space

weekender

Anyone have a solution to how you handle life jackets on the boat?

i usually carry around 10 of those large ones and i leave them in port side  flip up seat, takes up lots of space. 

Aside from buying 10 $100 thin comp style vests for everyone since those are also coast guard approved, anyone found a good place/strategy for handling life jackets?

Thanks

We have a couple over by the cooler that we use as throwables....if we have more on the boat than those few we just throw them in the back bins for the day.  Most of the time it is just a small crew for us and most of them have their own vests.

10 vests seems like a lot....must always have your boat packed.

We usually run 4-6 on the boat and keep that number in the  rear lockers.  If we have a bigger crowd we just bring more for the day!  I agree though, at times it does seem like the jackets are everywhere!

Unless you actually use all 10 I'd keep a brick of the cheap orange cga vests pushed way up in the observer compartment.  I suppose you could do 2 if they fit correctly.  Then I keep good CGA vests for the correct number of riders in easier access locations.  

The thin comp vests you mention are not coast guard approved and, in my state, do not count towards your total when considering a 1:1 for occupancy and vests.  

• Like 1

Some states also require a dedicated throwable device (seat cushion style typically) and throwing a vest doesn't count. Storing a seat cushion is typically much easier than storing a bunch of neoprene vests.

I was cited (years ago; I posted the whole story on TMC at the time) for not having enough CGA vests. I didn't realize I was short by 1 vest. I'm typically the guy who has too many vests on board, but I agree that storing them isn't easy. When I searched for "life jacket bag" on google I saw some interesting options for hanging on the frame of a center console boat. that might be able to be adapted to a wakeboard tower.

7 hours ago, oldjeep said:

I keep them in one of the rear storage compartments along with the cooler.  If you are not filling your storage with water bags there is plenty of space ;)

In Missouri, jackets must be out and accessible, which means not tucked in compartments.  I haven't been hassled in years, but this used to be something water patrol would check.   I've always wanted to buy some USCG approved inflatable jackets that would only truly get used in an emergency but would take up very little space.   But, they are pretty pricey.   

I evenly distribute my vests and wet suits on top of ballast bags in rear lockers and always have legal number of coast guard approved plus comp vests.  Never had an issue with space, although I am pretty anal about riders putting them back in the compartments when not in use to keep the clutter down.  Usually run a 3 to 6 person adult crew with kiddos.  Kids wear theirs while boat is in motion, period!  I also have the 4 pack of orange neck vests, I put in observer compartment with a larger crew.  I've been told that the 4 pack doesn't count if they are stored together in their bag, but I've never been cited or questioned during safety inspection, so not sure if that is actually true?  

8 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

In Missouri, jackets must be out and accessible, which means not tucked in compartments.  I haven't been hassled in years, but this used to be something water patrol would check.   I've always wanted to buy some USCG approved inflatable jackets that would only truly get used in an emergency but would take up very little space.   But, they are pretty pricey.   

Glad Idaho doesn't require that kind of accessibility.  Clutter drives me nuts!

• Like 2

Yep, straight from the handbook - 

Readily accessible, which means you are able to put the PFD on quickly in an emergency. PFDs may not be stowed in closed or locked compartments.

I have a guy's trip coming up and know I'm short on vests.....I'm off to check pricing on the inflatables again.  

1 minute ago, hethj7 said:

Hmm, $63 bucks for basically a belt that is coast guard approved.  For just making sure you are legal and for emergency use, this may be worth it as compared to $40 Costco vests that take up more space.  

https://www.amazon.com/Onyx-M-16-Manual-Inflatable-Jacket/dp/B013RLI9XS?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1

Maybe check your local laws first. I think I have heard that the inflatable vest must be worn at all times to be considered a legal vest.

2 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Readily accessible, which means you are able to put the PFD on quickly in an emergency. PFDs may not be stowed in closed or locked compartments.

I have a guy's trip coming up and know I'm short on vests.....I'm off to check pricing on the inflatables 

I think my rear compartments would always remain open....lol.

These are a little cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07HPWN2S4/ref=dp_ob_neva_mobile

34 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

In (the people's republic of) California the inflatable vests are required to be worn to count as USCG vests. I looked in to this a few years ago because of the space savings of having 4-6 inflatable vests on board and then I found out that they don't count.

10 hours ago, hethj7 said:

I have a guy's trip coming up and know I'm short on vests.....I'm off to check pricing on the inflatables again.  

Mn requires them to be accessible, which means if you are not an ahole then in the compartment is fine, although we typically have them sitting by the drivers feet and center walkway when wet. 

In TN, everyone on board under 13 must be wearing a USCG approved vest while the vessel is moving. There must be one USCG approved flotation device for everyone else on board. 

What I do is keep one vest in each size for everyone who will be riding, and non-riders have a designated USCG approved float square. For instance, if I have 3 riders that wear a large vest, I'll only get out one large vest and 3 squares.

The ones we actually use to ride in the cooler, and then i have a bunch of the yellow and orange compliance ones crammed under the back right seat and in the pull up compartment where the battery is but i attached eyes so that i can strap them up to the top and still have all my storage