Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rudder issue on 2002 23 LSV

Person working on my boat told me that he put it in water turned it all the way right and put it in reverse to get off the trailer.  He heard a bad sound and pulled it back out.  It looks like the rudder hit the prop.  How do I go about fixing the loose four bolts that hold the rudder in.  Do the bolts go to a top plate or is it screwed into wood.  How do I access the top of the rudder(cable and potential top plate) in the engine area.  Does the engine have to be taken out for access?  Link below is showing rudder assembly and looks to have a top plate.  Please advise.  Thanks.

https://www.bakesonline.com/malibu-boats-complete-rudder-assembly-with-adjustable-tab.html

• 2 weeks later...

The rudder itself will drop out of the box, just 1 bolt. Its tight, but you should be able to get the box out... Its through bolted with nuts inside, and a second helper will come in handy.

• 1 month later...

How did you get it fixed?  I had the same thing happen last night and I had to force the rudder back to normal but the steering is screwed now.  Only a tiny bit left and then a bunch right but if I go right too far I lose all my left steering capability and have to reset the rudder under the boat.