Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 MXZ vs Nautique G23

ChuckD

Hey,

I’m sure this has been posted previously but the search kept popping up as an error.  I currently own a 2014 Nautique 230 and I’m ready for a great surf boat.  My buddy has a 2018 G23 and it’s nice but I don’t want to shell out that much money.  I went out on a 2019 MXZ 22 this past weekend and the surf wave was absolutely amazing.  My wife and son surfed like a champ.  I was blown away.  The salesperson was driving.  When they were done I drove back to the dock with full ballasts at first and I could barely see.  The salesman adjusted the wedge to correct the bow rise and it was better.  Just looking for feedback on the MXZ’s.  The surf wave and boat are perfect for me.  I just didn’t drive when they were surfing AND I was looking back at them and not in front to notice the bow rise.  Is it a concern?  I saw online that somebody suggested adding lead in the front.  The bow rise was my only concern.  I will certainly go back and test drive better before making decisions.  Thanks. 

2 hours ago, ChuckD said:

Hey,

I’m sure this has been posted previously but the search kept popping up as an error.  I currently own a 2014 Nautique 230 and I’m ready for a great surf boat.  My buddy has a 2018 G23 and it’s nice but I don’t want to shell out that much money.  I went out on a 2019 MXZ 22 this past weekend and the surf wave was absolutely amazing.  My wife and son surfed like a champ.  I was blown away.  The salesperson was driving.  When they were done I drove back to the dock with full ballasts at first and I could barely see.  The salesman adjusted the wedge to correct the bow rise and it was better.  Just looking for feedback on the MXZ’s.  The surf wave and boat are perfect for me.  I just didn’t drive when they were surfing AND I was looking back at them and not in front to notice the bow rise.  Is it a concern?  I saw online that somebody suggested adding lead in the front.  The bow rise was my only concern.  I will certainly go back and test drive better before making decisions.  Thanks. 

I don't think it should be a huge concern when the boat is set up for a good wave (in my book that means "long with push" vs short and close to the boat.  A little extra weight in the front can help, so does decreasing the angle of the wedge (or not filling the PNP to 100%).  Also.. the power lift seat is a nice add to help with visibility if you are concerned.  Search around for some reviews of the MXZ22 online when they are surfing it and see what you think of the bow rise in those videos.

@ChuckD What a terrific problem!  Nautique vs Malibu...you're going to get LOTS of opinions on here.  I just went thru this myself as we were coming out of a 2008 23LSV.  After spending a lot of time in the market it came down to a 2017/2018 G23, 2019 GS24 and a 2019 24MXZ.  I was impressed with Nautique and I quickly fell in love with the GS24 which is loosely positioned as their all around sports boat and a potential contender for the SAN230.  The low sales volume on the GS24 and lack of first hand users was enough to cause a little doubt.  I like the lines of the SAN230 but the GS24 seems to handle a little better and it sits up out of the water a tad more.

The little sliver of doubt in GS24 sales led me back to a very long demo day with Malibu.  We were targeting the 24MXZ as we loved the walk thru transom and pickle fork bow.  The boat just looks awesome in the water too.  However, a demo on a deep lake in windy conditions made for a very choppy ride in the 24MXZ.  Compared to the GS24, the 24MXZ was uncomfortable in heavy chop...both boats were driven on the same lake within the same hour.  

On a lark at the demo we took out Malibu's new 2019 25LSV.  WOW!!!  The boat has the interior room we were looking for plus some.  All of the features of the 24MXZ plus a very easy to set up, industry leading surf wave.  The deep V traditional hull cut through waves with ease and we never looked back.  I fully intended to buy a 24MXZ or convince myself to convert to Nautique.  We now have a 2019 25LSV.  I had to give up the walk thru transom but I can't say I regret it.  The 25LSV has been AMAZING and its proven to be more nimble than our older 23LSV.  Its fun to drive and very simple to build a pro level wave.  

If you're looking for a big family/friends boat with an excellent surf wave make sure you demo a 25LSV.  It's in the same class as the other boats your considering and it may win your family over like it did mine.  Every boat is a compromise on some level but I don't regret anything about the decision to bring home the 25LSV.

Feel free to PM for more details or questions.    

• Like 3

Great post above @riffraff!   To the OP, both the 22 and 24 MXZ are amazing, especially since the hull redesign in 2017.   Incredible wakeboarding and surfing performance.   As to bow rise, I don't think the MXZ series is much different than most surf boats on the market.    If you have no crew and simply sack out the rear. the boats will point a little skyward.   The wedge can help a Malibu flatten out some without moving ballast - it also usually shortens and lengthens the wave as @gregtay eluded too.   It really depends what type of wave you like to run.   Some will stick some lead up in the bow but plenty run without any extra weight.  

And since it was mentioned already....the new 25LSV is a homerun!   

OP - Where are you located?  If your dealer doesn't have a 25 LSV, you may be near a new owner that would happily let you demo.  Lots of 25LSV's seem to be popping up.   Lots of MXZ's out there too for a more dialed in demo on how folks use it day to day as well.  

Thanks for all the info.  I’m in Austin, TX.  I may not have room on my dock for the 25 LSV.  The 24mxz is pushing it.  Once again, I loved everything about the 22mxz demo. I was just concerned with the bow rise.  It’s hard to compare since I have a Nautique 230 that has a very little wave and very little factory ballast.  Thanks for the info. 

The dock room is a concern for sure. I had to rearrange the lift and the boat is still a little more exposed than I like. The custom cover and a sunshade curtain on the dock will take care of that. It’s only a 1 foot difference between the two Malibus and the V shape on the 25 may allow you to get more of the boat over the front of the dock vs. the 24 when you pull in.  YMMV...if I cared to I can pull in and have at least 1 foot of the boat over the dock without the hull touching anything.

I never thought I’d have to much boat and too little dock.  No going back now!

@ChuckD I’m 1 1/2 hours south of you and always looking for an excuse to get on the water. Also, on June 8 there may be a demo day on Medina Lake by Texas Malibu if you’d like to see a few side by side. 

735896D1-0607-402E-844A-CE59538F0F8A.jpeg

My 5’8” wife runs our 17’ 22MXZ while I surf with no problem. I did however find myself running 25-50% in the bow hard tank while cruising to help with the ride and proposing before the lead. We have 500lbs of lead we are playing with now trying to dial in, it does like some bow weight surfing and even cruising. 

I can say this with absolute certainty. I sold my G23 a few months ago to get a new 24 mxz and couldn’t possibly be happier. Surf wave is better imo. Wakeboard wave is more friendly to all skill levels as you can slow down and still get clean wakes for the kids and beginners. G23 was fine, but the 24 mxz blows it away in most categories. At the risk of sounding like too much of a Malibu fanboy, the one and only area that I can say the G23 was nicer was the storage. The in floor cooler storage and all the extra room in the lockers will be something I will miss when we had a large crew with all the tubes, surfboards, extra gear, etc... However, the majority of the time it was never fully utilized and will somewhat be negated with the ability to add additional racks on the Malibu.

It also wasn’t until the G23 that I realized how much I liked a walk through and the large bow area. 25lsv is an awesome boat too as others have suggested, but that was the primary reason I went the direction of the mxz. We get our money’s worth out of those two features alone. Bow rise is probably slightly more, but not dangerously so and definitely not something I would have any concern over. Get the mxz. You won’t be disappointed!

ahopkins22LSV

I drove a 22 mxz a few times last year for events and one day we went out in January. We ran just stock ballast and stock plug n play bags, bow rise was not bad at all. Too much wedge will definitely shoot the bow way up in the air. Here are some pics. This boat is a 2018 so it had PW2 so the settings will be a bit different but iirc we were running wedge 1 or 2 from lift. PW3 will probably be 2-3 from lift. 

B665C3E1-791E-422D-B3C9-3B0F38D34AB5.jpeg

8513A2AD-416E-4935-AB2E-FB3877508699.jpeg

91B80D4F-D2D1-4AD6-8DA0-743E2EA9B8A5.jpeg

Thanks for all the info.  I will test drive the MXZ again.  My family loved the surf wave and everything about the boat.  

10 hours ago, Raimie said:

Extra bow weight is pretty much always a good thing in every Malibu and Axis boat if you are using it to surf.

On a good portion of the models being built currently you may find that the extra bow weight is not needed like in the past. Most have had the batteries moved to the bow which helps a lot.

Now, if you have more weight in the rear than recommend this will change of course.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

On a good portion of the models being built currently you may find that the extra bow weight is not needed like in the past. Most have had the batteries moved to the bow which helps a lot.

Now, if you have more weight in the rear than recommend this will change of course.

This is so true. As these boats, the ballast systems, weight changes (batteries) and hulls elvove through the changes in newer models, we have to remember that the way we setup the older boats won't work as well with the newer boats. In most cases, the older way will not even work anymore. Get advice from the members here that have done the experimenting, get a great wave without going through the pain of experimenting yourself.

• Like 2

The MXZ has a few great places in the nose to hide some extra lead weight. Just a few bags, 2-300lbs will make a huge difference. Also, make sure you get the power lift helm seat or have the dealer add it! Difference maker right there. On your demo, have 1-2 people sit up front to act as the lead/extra bow weight. The wedge also has a huge impact on bow rise, so play around with the wedge settings.

19 hours ago, ChuckD said:

Hey,

You should check the 2019 Supra SE and do a test ride totally new boat https://www.supraboats.com/models/supra-se . I have owned 6 Nautique's and my last one being a 230 made the switch over to Supra pretty impressed to say the least. 

Video 2019 Supra SE - 

Edited by davewfo
7 hours ago, ChuckD said:

Thanks for all the info.  I will test drive the MXZ again.  My family loved the surf wave and everything about the boat.  

I just went through this and tried every boat I could except the new 25 LSV and went with the 24 MXZ and I couldn't be happier. Bow rise may be slightly more than the G but the better wave is worth it IMO. Definitely get the power seat.

2019 24mxz......1.5 hours and in the shop. engine trouble......like my dad said, "well she looks pretty on a trailer".....not a great way to start the season. 1st brand new boat since selling my 04 Malibu 25lsv....

44 minutes ago, dreamlifeoc1 said:

2019 24mxz......1.5 hours and in the shop. engine trouble......like my dad said, "well she looks pretty on a trailer".....not a great way to start the season. 1st brand new boat since selling my 04 Malibu 25lsv....

I hate to hear that. What do you think happened?

well, at 3000 rpm the engine decelerates on it's own. there is a sort of clunking sound coming from the engine.  repeated this many times. didn't sound good nor normal.  engine temp and oil pressure were normal. no error or service codes.  boat had 39% gas. I put in 87 octane (PCM owners Manila said that is the minimum). took boat to dealer. fuel lines checked ok. fuel pressure was within normal. dealer is contacting PCM for further on how to proceed. he doesn't believe it's the fuel pump.  so kinda in limbo about what is the problem.  if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

10 hours ago, dreamlifeoc1 said:

well, at 3000 rpm the engine decelerates on it's own. there is a sort of clunking sound coming from the engine.  repeated this many times. didn't sound good nor normal.  engine temp and oil pressure were normal. no error or service codes.  boat had 39% gas. I put in 87 octane (PCM owners Manila said that is the minimum). took boat to dealer. fuel lines checked ok. fuel pressure was within normal. dealer is contacting PCM for further on how to proceed. he doesn't believe it's the fuel pump.  so kinda in limbo about what is the problem.  if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Could be knock (preignition) or a number of other issues.

Unfortunately octane ratings at gas stations/fuel docks are not held at a standard and they can vary quite a bit from what is stated.

The dealer will do some testing ans run a diacom report to send to PCM so they can look at what the ECM is actually reporting.

11 hours ago, dreamlifeoc1 said:

Dang! Sorry to hear that. I'm surprised that boat didn't come standard with the M6.