Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Shaft drip rate 07 VTX

Just put my boat in for the season and figured I should check shaft seal drip rate.  Was 1 per second in gear at idle speed and 1 every 4 seconds in neutral. Is this ok or should I try to tighten the packing nut a little?  Boat was in water for about 1 hour before checking.  Is that long enough for packing to swell?  Boat is stored on lift long term leaking is not an issue.  

formulaben

I literally just posted this 5 minutes ago, but yes shaft packings tend to dry up and shrink a bit during winter layup.  It will swell a bit after a couple days on the water.  I'd be patient and wait to see if drip rate lessens before adjusting it, as it's not a lot of fun. 

formulaben

Probably good advice here:

"The best rule of thumb I've found over the years is the least amount of drips when the shaft is spinning but before the box develops any heat. Again, it's a drip to heat ratio and little to no heat is the most desirable. Traditional flax packing can drip as little as about 5-10 drops a minute if adjusted correctly, while running, and this drip rate allows lubrication of the shaft."

"Do not make adjustments to the packing nut, with traditional flax, for at least 24 to 48 hours as the plant based flax packing will absorb moisture and swell. This swelling can cause overheating of the stuffing box, if it is adjusted to quickly after launch and the swelling has not been accounted for."

"Premature tightening of traditional flax can result in potential problems. A good and safe practice is to adjust the packing by 'half a flat' turns after two hours of use or until you have your drip to heat ration correct. You can actually use an infrared thermometer, often called a pyrometer, to make this adjustment process easier but usually your hand will suffice as a good gauge."

https://pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box&page=1

Edited by formulaben