Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bluetooth or Aux Plugin on factory RF radio

wakesurfer124

Just picked up my first Malibu, a 14 23lsv, it has the factory 8 speaker rockford system plus sub and tower with rockford radio on the left of steering wheel. Is there a plugin for auxillary or way to make it bluetooth capable? Or is there a plug and play replacement that has these features?

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

+1 for the Exile unit.  I installed on the same year boat as yours, but also did the zone controller at the same time.

Where in WI?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 13 vlx and I am trying to understand how this works with the existing system. If you install an exile or Klay audio Bluetooth option, where on the boat do you control it from? Or does it synch right up like the current Factory Bluetooth does? My factory bluetooth seems to be fading. It works great about 80% of the time but then when it doesn’t system doesn’t sound as good. 

Thanks!

I set mine through the zone controller (also Exile).  If you replace the factory one, should be controllable through the RF head unit for the connection/input selection.  If I remember my system correctly, pre zone controller, the factory bluetooth connection is just the audio and there is no other functionality (e.g. advance tracks).  You may need to do the initial sync through the Mobile Device Gateway (MDG) from the MaliView touchscreen (lower right).

9 hours ago, Elkinsa said:

Thanks for the details. Do you like how it works better than the factory Bluetooth?

Yes.  The Exile BT has been more reliable and the sound quality is better.  With the Zone Controller, I don't even use the factory head unit anymore other than to power on the system (need to get a work around on this still since kids like to accidentally push the power button when they walk up to the bow) .  My primary source of music is Spotify off the phone via BT and I can use my Garmin VivoActive HR to advance tracks, pause while drivings or even when surfing.  The Zone Controller gives people in the cabin a more comfortable ride, if you are sitting forward of the tower speakers.

On the Exile DMC, did you leave the Rockford MR5BB in the space to the left of the dash or did you replace it with the Exile DMC?  I'm assuming you have to leave it to keep FM Radio functionality correct?  Also does the "Media" button on the center display above the steering wheel still control all audio functions with the DMC in place?

I have a failing MR5BB and just trying to figure out the best option to replace it.

Thanks

Ryan

17 hours ago, Lakemurrayskier said:

Rockford MR5BB

This piece is simply the interface display. The actual brand box, commonly called the black box and located next the amps, would be rendered useless if you removed this unit. No tuner, USB, AUX, volume, etc, control from the helm any more. Just an FYI. If all you want is BT streaming and do not have or care about a transom or rear seat wired remote, then just disconnect the black box all together, and reconfigure the RCAs to the amps. 

• Like 1