Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2012 Malibu Wakesetter - bilge leak

Afternoon Everyone -

Have a 2012 247 LSV. Took it out for the first time yesterday, and noticed when I first started going that my bilge turned on. Look and behold in the bilge area, it's about 90% full of water. Everything I have read says that its more than likely is the packing. I had zero issues with it at the end of last year. Any recommendations on if its the packaging or something else? Any help would be appreciated.

formulaben

The packing will dry out over winter layup and tend to leak more the first couple outings of the year; they will swell a bit with water exposure so if that's the culprit then maybe give it a little while.  Having said that, it seems like a lot more than the typical shaft packing leak.

I had a similar issue with my bilge pump turning on unexpectedly.  A couple years ago, I took my boat out for a few hours and really did nothing other than traverse across the lake, drop anchor and each lunch.   On my way back to dock, the bilge pump turned on.  This was unusual as my boat was only a couple of years old at the time.  When I pulled boat out and removed the drain plug, water poured out for over a minute.  Using a fake a lake, I inspected the motor running in my garage and found that the rubber caps on the engine block heater out and in ports was dry and cracked and when the engine was running, caused water to seep into the hull.  

I would inspect your engine while it is running to see if there are any water leaks.

Check out my video of my finding the leak.

Thanks guys. All the water is puddled by the drive shaft area. Engine is totally dry. Looks like I have a dripless packing as well. Little stumped at the moment. 

formulaben

Aside from winterization issues only other thing I can think of that would have changed since last fall is that plugs were pulled...have you double checked that ALL plugs (T-handle garboard and transom) are screwed in tight?  Also check your shower valves are all off; a good dealer will run antifreeze through it and perhaps they didn't get them shut all the way.

My first thought when I noticed the water was that I didn't tighten the T-Handle in the bilge area properly. This was the only one the dealer didn't put back in. I am hoping that is the case, but it was still somewhat difficult to take off when I needed to drain the water yesterday. I will double check on the shower valves. . Wouldn't the shop pump antifreeze in the seals as well? That's why I am pretty confused as to how the packing maybe leaking. Boat only has 210 hours on it too.

formulaben
24 minutes ago, Tgsteinhart1s said:

My first thought when I noticed the water was that I didn't tighten the T-Handle in the bilge area properly. This was the only one the dealer didn't put back in. I am hoping that is the case, but it was still somewhat difficult to take off when I needed to drain the water yesterday. I will double check on the shower valves. . Wouldn't the shop pump antifreeze in the seals as well? That's why I am pretty confused as to how the packing maybe leaking. Boat only has 210 hours on it too.

Which seals?  On the T-handles, use teflon tape to help get them to seal better and also keep them from being difficult to remove.