Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Zeus/IPS drives for watersports boats?

iwam

b1cc80d19e51ed4348e26f26c2c73e0b.png

Single engine inboards are comical when it comes to maneuvering around the dock.   We are all used to it by now, but it seems funny to me that these $100-200K boats have little to no steering in reverse.  What are your thoughts on whether future Malibu's will have pod drives?

Almost all companies are beginning to introduce thrusters or reverse steering systems into their line ups to enhance maneuverability.  It's a matter of time before this becomes the norm.  

23 hours ago, iwam said:

b1cc80d19e51ed4348e26f26c2c73e0b.png

Single engine inboards are comical when it comes to maneuvering around the dock.   We are all used to it by now, but it seems funny to me that these $100-200K boats have little to no steering in reverse.  What are your thoughts on whether future Malibu's will have pod drives?

In my opinion. I sure hope not. As you pointed out the price of these boats is already a 2nd mortgage. If they use pods, they'll just add another 50-60k? to the bottom line....
Not to mention the size and amount of under hull equipment that will be introduced. I like the simplicity and maintenance schedule of the DD/V drive. 
As @saxton15 mentioned, the introduction of the ducted thruster can help significantly. 

I have to say though, not bragging but, it only took me a few attempts to really get my 23lsv under my thumb so to speak. I back into my slip every time and unless the wave action is significant I rarely need to rush to grab a pole. 

I dont miss having an out drive even a little.  I like the optional thruster or rudder options alot better for people that need them especially in windy and strong current conditions.  Many inboards used for tow sports live on small calm lakes and inboard simplicity is one of my favorite features.  

The outdrives are cool and definitely have their place I just dont think they will take over and I don't want one. 

• Like 1

A hard ground strike is a 5-7k repair already on an inboard.  The cost of the same strike with that...yikes.  

What would the benefit really be?  Thrusters or 2nd rudder is a far cheaper solution to turning in reverse.  A non-fixed prop will also impact your surf wave when making steering adjustments as well, which is another negative.

I saw one of these on a boat on a trailer. (Maybe it was online somewhere) The Boat Sat way up high and still looked like it would grind off on driveway at earliest chance