Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Speaker connectors and wire questions

Arick

My setup for my 07 Sunscape  4 x JL 6.5 M  with JL M1000/5  amp.  Still working on picking out the sub and box.. Leaning towards JL 12W3 with a qbomb.

Pulled my stock RF speakers and went to reuse the disconnects.  Found that 1 disconnect is similar in size and the other is a bit smaller.  So I start looking looking at the speaker wire and to my untrained eye it looks pretty small. More on that in a minute.  The disconnects I figure I can pick up at my hardware store. Well They don't appear to have insulated disconnects for the small one.  I checked a few places and I'm stuck at the moment.   I realize its Sunday and I can try an electrical supply or a stereo shop tomorrow. However I started thinking, is this how everyone else does it?  Should I continue with disconnects?  If I continue with disconnects should I consider replacing the speaker wire as well?  If so, does that change the disconnects I need because of the gauge? 

I feel like I'm over thinking this whole thing. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.  Thanks in advance.

Edited by Arick
better description

Faston F1 and F2 blade connectors. Most common sizes are .250 and .187 blade width. Available many places like Crutchfield and Amazon. Try searching quick disconnect spade terminal. Most speakers use these.

So measure the width of the blade to determine size. Choices are usually .187 and .250", but they also come in .105, .125, .205, and .312".

• 4 weeks later...

Ancor has a set of 6 heat shrink crimp on female quick connects with a pair of .250 and two pairs of smaller sizes to fit the smaller connection on the speaker. Spendy and end up paying for an unused pair but pretty sure to get the job done right. 

Edited by nwwakesurf