Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tracking fin inserts 2001 Response Lxi

Hey people,

I got the boat out of storage this weekend, looked under, it's missing the front tracking fin... I took a screw off one of the remaining ones and it threads well in two of the holes but is loose in the ones in the front.

Can someone tell me if there are threaded inserts in the hull , or are the fins just screwed in a hole that is tapped in the fibreglass ?

also, has anybody tried running the boat with just the two back fins ? Does it affect tracking a lot ?

and my final question, my dealer in Canada wants $300 for a fin, it seems like a lot, anybody have an idea of the price ?

thanks for your help !

If you run with two, be sure the holes are sealed!  I'd get a replacement:  https://www.bakesonline.com/tracking-fin-malibu-boats-standard-fin.html  Or about $185 CAD to your door.  They came from marinehardware.com  and you can likely get them there cheaper than Bakes.  Page 40:  http://www.marinehardware.com/downloads/running_gear.pdf  And AFIAK, they are simply screwed in.

I have been running without the front fin for a few years now. I bought a replacement but never noticed any difference in tracking so haven't bothered to install it.

Thanks for the answers, but one question remains , are the holes just tapped in fibreglass or is there some kind of insert that the bolt screws in ?

should have said 2 questions...what should I use to block the holes ?

season is short, so for now I will try with just two to get the boat in ASAP !

16 minutes ago, Normando said:

Thanks for the answers, but one question remains , are the holes just tapped in fibreglass or is there some kind of insert that the bolt screws in ?

should have said 2 questions...what should I use to block the holes ?

season is short, so for now I will try with just two to get the boat in ASAP !

Def screwed in in the 99.  I would expect the same for yours.  5200 or marine silicone - but seeing as you can get one in a couple days, why not fix it right?  As opposed to doing it over?

On 5/19/2019 at 5:12 PM, Normando said:

Hey people,

I got the boat out of storage this weekend, looked under, it's missing the front tracking fin... I took a screw off one of the remaining ones and it threads well in two of the holes but is loose in the ones in the front.

Can someone tell me if there are threaded inserts in the hull , or are the fins just screwed in a hole that is tapped in the fibreglass ?

also, has anybody tried running the boat with just the two back fins ? Does it affect tracking a lot ?

and my final question, my dealer in Canada wants $300 for a fin, it seems like a lot, anybody have an idea of the price ?

thanks for your help !

Hey,

Where are you from?  I am in Edmonton and I just replaced a tracking fin on my 01 ResponseLX which cost me $150 from SWS Marine in Calgary, AB.   (They ended up shipping it to the not-quite-open-yet Edmonton location for me which I really appreciated, but I would have just had a friend pick it up and bring it up next time he came to town.)

Gage

On 5/20/2019 at 10:34 AM, barefootpaul said:

I have been running without the front fin for a few years now. I bought a replacement but never noticed any difference in tracking so haven't bothered to install it.

Ah! Things I should ask before I drive 6 hours to buy your boat! I would buy it anyway, for footin, not for the course. But Somebody please post a topic for us poor suckers looking to buy a boat so we don't get the one that has been underwater for a couple of days and then had diesel poured into it, when he puts it up for sale. 

I've lost a tracking fin twice the last two seasons.  One of the screws was lose like yours. I just put some of the life seal silicone in the hole and screwed it in as tight as it would go before spinning.   Haven't had a problem.....its solid